10 Things All Penn State Freshmen Need To Know

From one Penn State student to another.

61

What comes to mind when you hear the words "Penn State"? Most likely something that comes to everyone's mind is the incredible football team, and they are pretty incredible. Though they are pretty amazing, there's a lot more to Penn State than a Saturday in Beaver Stadium, including some things that incoming freshmen don't always know. So here are 10 things all incoming freshmen should know.

1. The Alma Mater

To many people, an alma mater is just something played at major academic events, such as a graduation. While that does happen, our alma mater is played at every sporting event on campus, sometimes both before and after the game. Also, just a tip, it's tradition to place your hands on the backs of the people next to you and sway. We always start to the left, so don't mess up – it messes up the entire bleacher.

2. "We Are"

I think chanting "we are" is a pretty known factor to people who plan on attending the school. It is also a rite of passage to chant it during a tour or orientation. While it is said in every corner of Beaver Stadium/Bryce Jordan Center/Rec Hall/Pegula Ice Arena, it doesn't stop there. Be prepared to be in your home state wearing a shirt that says "Penn State" and hearing someone scream "We Are!". Don't forget after the 3rd "We Are...Penn State" we say "Thank You/You're Welcome". We're polite.

3. The Lion Shrine

While the shrine might be on the complete opposite side of campus from your freshman dorm, you have to go because there is absolutely no excuse not to. Everyone who goes to Penn State has at least one picture at the Lion Shrine and you might end up going more than once with friends. Honestly, it might sound crazy but it is definitely a must if you go to Penn State.

4. Berkey Creamery 

If you have a conversation with someone who went or goes to Penn State, there's a pretty good chance the topic of ice cream will come up. Going to get ice cream at the creamery is a must – always get the blue and white sprinkles – though the shakes are pretty good too. Even though it's really good you probably won't go as frequently as you might think, just based off personal experience.

5. CATA Buses

There's truly nothing like walking around the gorgeous campus that is Penn State, but we're all human and sometimes we don't want to walk. Luckily, the bus systems are always there to help, especially since there are Bloop (Blue Loop) and Whoop (White Loop) stops right outside East Halls. They really come in handy if you oversleep or it's too cold to walk, because that does happen, or even if you don't feel like walking downtown.

6. Standing during games

Going to Penn State really takes a lot of dedication, especially when it comes to attending sporting events. Buying football tickets on the morning of my graduation was probably the most exciting thing I did before I went to school, other than deciding on Penn State of course. The anticipation for that first game is insane and waiting in the line in Gate A of Beaver is crazy, but what no one tells you is that you stand the whole game. Not complaining though, because you're still at a Penn State game, just a heads up to be ready to stand for duration of the whole game.

7. East Halls

Arguably, East Halls is the nicest residence halls to stay in during a semester, especially if it is a renovated building like Martin Hall where I stayed. It's really great because you live with almost all of rest of your freshman class, unless they live in another residents hall. The only thing that isn't so great about living in East is that it is really far from just about every class you will take, especially lectures. Again, that's why the buses are so great especially when they are right outside the buildings.

8. The White Out

This weekend will most likely be the highlight of your fall semester if you take every advantage of going to the best school ever. A lot of things happen during the White Out weekend, including ESPN hosting "College GameDay" and going to the greatest game ever. It's really something you could never mentally prepare for because it is absolute mayhem in Beaver Stadium from the time you enter to the time you leave. It's a moment where you sit back and take it all in and just the overall pride in going to Penn State. It is also always played against either Michigan or Ohio State, so be ready with your GameDay posters and "Michigan still sucks" chants.

9. Classes

Coming from someone who went to a small high school, Penn State was a crazy wake up call as to how many people there are. Being a freshman you will be in big lectures for gen-eds and there will most likely be over 100 people in the class. Some lectures have over 700 students in them, but then you might go from that to a class with only 45 students in a smaller classroom. Even though they might look scary when you walk in, lectures aren't that bad and probably half the class feels the same way.

10. Overall Size

There's no hiding that Penn State is a really big school with over 40,000 students who attend at the same time, and football has about 107,000 per game. Honestly, it never felt like a big school because you never are super crowded and everything is in one area. For Penn State, the there are two main roads where all classes and residents halls are, which are Pollock and Curtin. It never felt intimidating based off the size because the longer you are there, the more like home it starts to feel.

Based on personal experience, those are 10 things I wish I knew going into school. Penn State really is a special place and everyone who goes there will tell you the same thing. It becomes home to people so quickly and everyone jokes about it being like a "cult" but take it as a compliment. You will never see another school who is so proud and students that are never ashamed to say where they go, it's one big family. So always remember "We Are" and no matter where you are or what time it is...Michigan still sucks!