10 Study Tips For Final Exams

10 Study Tips For Final Exams

"It's the most wonderful time of the ye-" oh wait..no it's not

55
10 Study Tips For Final Exams

"It's the most wonderful time of the ye-" oh wait...no it's not. Or at least not yet. We still have finals to get through! And while it's tempting to take breaks from studying to watch Christmas movies, we still have to pass our classes. So if you're struggling to study for final exams, here are some tips.

1. Study in blocks

Take a page from the Pomodoro Technique. This is where you give your full focus on a task anywhere from 20-30 minutes, then give yourself a 5-15 minute break. After 4 rounds of this, you take a 45 to an hour break. Personally, this has done wonders for my focus and I find it easier to get large amounts of work done using it.

2. Get enough sleep.

Yes, I'm saying it again. And again. Get enough sleep! There are numerous studies that say that getting enough sleep is vital to getting high scores on exams, and may even be the most important aspect of finals week. So go get those 8 hours!

3. Get up early

If you get enough sleep, in turn, you can get up earlier. This allows you to start before everyone else is up (and making noise). This also allows you to get most of your studying done by that afternoon crash.

4. Change of Scenery

Change where you study! Not only will this keep things from being boring, it can help you retain information better. The brain makes associations with what you are studying with your surroundings.

5. Schedule and time block what you need to study

If you have multiple tests that you have to study for in a day, schedule when and how long you will spend on each topic. This will keep you organized and focused.

6. Make sure you have all your materials together before starting.

This way you don't have to go searching in the middle of a study session or hike it back to your dorm from the library for an important piece of notes.

7. Go to the tutoring center

There's no shame in needing them, and that's what they are for!

8. Don't procrastinate

Procrastination causes panic, and then you won't focus as well. Take the time to study well, and with enough time to learn what you need to.

9. Study with someone in the same class.

As long as you actually focus, studying with a partner can be helpful. They may understand the material a different way the professor taught it that may make more sense and be able to explain it to you.

10. Keep things in perspective.

Finals are not the end of the world, and driving yourself crazy over them will not help you. Take a breather, and take everything in stride.