10 Struggles Of Being A Cat Owner
Nature Animals

10 struggles Of being a cat owner

Our feline friends add such excitement to our lives. But sometimes, you wonder "are you kitten me?"

81
10 struggles Of being a cat owner
Rachel Stoneburner

There is nothing better than having a pet. They bring such joy to your life and add such a great stress relief as well. Nothing is better than snuggling up to your fur baby after a long day. I am a fur mom to two cats, Cleopatra and Simba (who is Cleopatra's kitten!).

Cleo and SimbaRachel Stoneburner

But, if there is one thing that I have learned from having cats... It's not all sunshine and rainbows. If you are a fellow feline parent like myself, I believe that the list of things I am writing about will bring up some feelings. I've come up with 10 things that drive us cat owners wild.

1. No privacy

I don't know about your cat, but my cat absolutely loves to sit in the bathroom on our top cabinet while I am in the bathroom. Whether it is a quick stop or I am taking a shower, he is always there. It is almost like I have a small stalker. If you don't let them in, they sit outside the door and meow as if the world is ending and you just ended it for them.

SimbaRachel Stoneburner

2. No patience

When it is dinner time, it is dinner time. When they want to be pet, they are going to be pet. When they are done with your attention, they will show you. It truly does not matter what you are doing if it is time for them to be fed. Honestly, I think cats think that we have no purpose aside from pleasing them.

3. Your bed is their bed

I have bought three cat beds now and none of my cats have used them. But our queen size bed is their bed, apparently. Better yet, the bed has to be made because it must be more comfortable that way. And you better move over for them and not bother them in their precious time of sleeping. But, in their defense, they do look like little angels while sleeping...

4. They are similar to having children

You feed them, you clean up after their messes, and you take care of their pee/poop. Sometimes, you even have to find a cat sitter to make sure these tasks are taken care of while you are gone. They are little fur babies, that is for certain.

5. They knock everything over and sometimes on purpose

I feel like this is something that even non-cat parents are familiar with from the videos that go around the internet. I did not believe it until I had my own cat come through my apartment and knock everything down on my dresser. But it is 100% true. Cats knock things down. And I am starting to think it is for the fun of it...

All of the things on the dresser were standing at one point, along with things on the shelf he is sitting on that now are on the floor...

Rachel Stoneburner

6. You have to watch where you walk

Two reasons: 1. they will be very much in your way as they follow you around or dash right in front of you. Heaven forbid if you accidentally step on them! 2. They could be "hunting" the other cat or something else (aka your feet). If they are doing the booty wiggle and you don't notice, you are going to be in for a fun surprise (for one of you).

7. The hair is everywhere

You are never going to wear black the same way again, especially if your cat has light hair. I have even started to find the hair in the most random places such as: my book bag, the shower, and my vehicle. Very interesting to me but one of the struggles that you will know all too well if you are a fellow fur mom/dad to a wonderful feline.

8. No personal space

Though this is quite similar to #1, it is somewhat different in the space part of it. Though the cats may follow you around, once you decided where you are going to sit or lay, better be ready for close company. Bed time is not just you or you and your significant other anymore. It is you plus the cats. The cats typically make themselves comfortable without taking into account your comfortability.

Rachel Stoneburner

9. They are so stubborn

Unlike (some) dogs, cats do not seem to listen. I have tried everything to get them to stop some of their behaviors. For example, the knocking things over on the dresser. I tell them no, snap, clap and even sprits some water their way. My one cat, Simba (pictured in #5) will stare at me while he does it once he shakes the water off. They are the most stubborn animal I have ever encountered. So be ready to be just as stubborn!

10. You never want to leave them

All of these "struggles" do not replace the amount of positives that cats bring into your life. I would not change it for the world. But they do make you not want to leave the house because they are just too dang cute and cuddly, even though they are probably waiting for you to leave so they can have their time to knock more things over, meow at things outside, or lay in your bed without you bothering them in it.

Rachel Stoneburner

Cats are precious gifts, in my opinion. I highly recommend finding yourself a cat (please adopt!!!!) My cats have truly been such a relief to me and the people around us that I am not sure what I would do without them. They are the perfect fur babies and I love being a fur mom! It is funny, people ask me if I want children (I very much do not) and I make sure to let them know that I already have two, Cleopatra and Simba.