10 Struggles For The Middle Child Of The Family

Middle child syndrome is a real thing.

102
https://pixabay.com/en/brothers-boys-children-look-up-2107264/

Yes I am a middle child of my family and there are countless times when I think of how nice it would be to not be forgotten when the family gets together for the holidays. That short time in my life when I was the youngest child and received all the attention was a wonderful time, until I got the news that I was going to be a big sister. From there, I soon began to see what middle child syndrome truly was and how it affects a person so deeply. I am calling out to all the middle children in their family to connect with me on all these struggles and eve more that are not listed. Don't get me wrong there are positives to being a middle child, it is not as tragic as it may seem. However, every once in a while we do like to be noticed.

1. Being called one of your siblings' names

This mainly happens when my family gets together for the holidays and my mother has not seen all her children together, but somehow by being the middle child, you are the one that gets called the wrong name. No, it is not because we look alike, it is because we are the middle child.

2. Being responsible for your younger siblings 

The oldest has a job and both parents are working and do not want to hire a babysitter, so you are stuck watching the blessings that put you in the middle child spot of the family.

3. Not receiving the attention anymore

Now that you re no longer the youngest and there is a new baby in the family, all the attention goes to them now. But it does not stop when your younger sibling is no longer a baby because they will forever be known as the baby.

4. Being completely different from your older and younger siblings 

You feel alone in the family sometimes because your older and younger siblings get along better than you would with either of them. You don't want to always resort to your parents when you want someone to talk to about what is going on in your life.

5. Everything important happens with the oldest 

All the major firsts happened with the oldest and they will continue to remind you of that. Phrases like, "I was what started the family", and "Mom and Dad love me more". When it comes to your major mile marker the excitement is defused.

6. And everything sentimental happens with the youngest

The youngest will always get the teary eyed words from everything that they do because they are your parents' last child and they will no longer have to go through any of it again. When you go through your accomplishments, you are lucky to even get a tear from your parents because they have already been through it with their first born.

7. You don't get the respect from your younger siblings

They play and joke with you when you are in charge. You are not taken seriously and they would rather listen to the other older siblings than you.

8. Parents think that you are capable of handling it on your own when you need help

When you are going through something that you need help with from your parents, they don't give you the sentimental words of encouragement that you want to hear from them because they are too busy dealing with whatever the oldest and youngest are getting into.

9. Being the mediator between siblings 

This depends on how you want your day to go really. If you are in the mood to be treated like a baby from your older sibling then side with your younger sibling but if you don't want to deal with getting pushed around then always side with your older sibling because the youngest will always get the approval from mom.

10. Living up to your older sibling's accomplishments

Everything is so cool that they do and you have this dream to be able to do something that will for once wow your parents and even your older sibling.