Top 10 Staples To Kick Start Healthy Eating

Do you need help dipping your toes into a healthy lifestyle? Here's how to start!

46
online chic

I've been on a plant-based diet* for about two years now.

There are two things in that statement I should probably clarify.

1. Plant-based means a lifestyle of eating that is based on foods that come solely from plants (meaning veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans, etc.) and what can be naturally derived from them. I choose to say plant-based over vegan for a number of different reasons. One being the definition and the do's and don't's of being vegan aren't necessarily rules I follow strictly. For example, I eat and use honey quite often, especially in baking and also frequently in my tea. That brings me to my other reason for the distinction...

2. I eat the way I eat for the healthy benefits first and foremost. I eat the foods that make me feel good and build my diet with them. Thus, despite having to give a definition to everyone every time I say plant-based, it doesn't confuse them into thinking that I can eat certain products just because they are absent of dairy or animal derivatives. In fact, that's the number one false assumption about the word vegan. You can eat a purely vegan diet and not be remotely healthy. Yes, it does encourage you to eat more plant-based foods just because of the nature of the diet, but there are all those products labeled "vegan" in the grocery stores that aren't remotely good for you, filled with processed ingredients, preservatives and chemicals. Don't get me wrong, I think being "vegan" is an amazing thing for the environment and animal welfare, but I just want to be clear (also so as not to offend any vegans with my choices) that my main focus is eating healthy food in a delicious way and embracing all the benefits that come with it!

*I should also say that I kind of hate the word diet because it's become so convoluted and so often associated with short term restrictions for short term results, like losing weight or fads. In reality, as cliché as it sounds, it's a lifestyle choice for me and I do it because I enjoy it!

I know healthy eating can be daunting, especially when trying to make a switch over from what is, more often than not, a not-so-healthy diet. In fact, if you can, it's probably best to do it gradually, switching out things slowly. However, I thought I'd provide my top ten staples that I use every day to cook some of my favorite meals and desserts!

1. Tahini

Tahini is just sesame seeds ground up and churned to form a butter!

Uses: Mix it with some lemon juice, garlic and water for delicious salad dressings, sprinkle it over your plate for a tasty and savory sauce (maybe mix it with some olive oil, tamari, lemon and chili powder for spice!), marinades, and of course one of the best uses, hummus!

Health benefits: Rich in minerals like magnesium and iron, a source of vitamins such as Vitamin E, B1, B2, and B3, great source of calcium, beneficial for skin, source of protein, and can assist in weight loss!

2. Oats

Uses: Simmer them over the stove with some almond milk and cinnamon to make a creamy porridge, grind them up into a flour to use for baking, and even use it with some water as a brilliant exfoliator!

Health benefits: Provides fiber that helps lower cholesterol levels, aids in controlling hormones, improves the immune system defenses, and helps control blood pressure levels.

3. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is simply oil extracted from the meat of coconuts!

Uses: Melt it down to use as a cooking oil, use it with some of the other staples to make the most delicious mix to pour over ice cream forming a hard chocolate shell or an incredible chocolate frosting for cakes and cupcakes. Beyond food, apply it at night for the most hydrating moisturizer and hair mask you could ask for!

Health benefits: Contains the good fatty acids that are used as quick sources of energy, can improve blood cholesterol levels, and can protect and aid hair and skin acting as a sunscreen and moisturizer!

4. Cacao Powder

Cacao Powder is just the raw form of Cocoa Powder before it gets processed!

Uses: My go-to ingredient for baking anything chocolate (from brownies to cupcakes), combine it with some cacao butter, and maple syrup for amazing raw homemade chocolates, add it to smoothies or energy balls for delicious chocolate goodness and along with the coconut oil, it can make the most incredible chocolate shell for ice cream or frosting for baked goods!

Health benefits: Rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium and iron, vitamins such as B1, B2, B3, C, and E, lowers blood pressure, improves blood flow, supports heart health, improves digestion and is said to be good for overall mental-health!

5. Cinnamon

Uses: Sprinkle it on top of sweet potato wedges, add it to your porridge either while it cooks or afterward with some banana, use it in a variety of sweets, add it to a pot to make a delicious curry, and sprinkle it over some apple wedges to spice up an easy snack!

Health benefits: It's loaded with antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, lowers blood sugar levels, helps fight against infection and may aid against heart disease.

6. Apple Cider Vinegar

Uses: Use it to make delicious dressings and dips, add it to your veggie burger and pizza crust mixes for great added flavor, mix it with water to soothe sore throats, and pour some on a cotton pad with water to use it as an incredible facial toner!

Health benefits: It is said to help lower cholesterol, aids in weight loss and digestion, helps with acne treatment, boosts energy, whitens your teeth and can also aid in keeping your blood sugar levels under control!

7. Brown Rice Pasta

Uses: My favorite easy staple dinner is to just raid my cupboard for some brown rice pasta. It's literally just pasta made from brown rice! You can't taste the difference between this and regular pasta (I swear...plus you're coating it in an incredible sauce!) and it cooks in the perfect amount of time to make an easy pasta sauce with some cherry tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, olive oil, basil, and lemon! I'm also working on making an incredible healthy kugel recipe!

Health benefits: High in fiber that can be linked with reducing high cholesterol levels and aids in keeping blood sugar levels under control. It also is a lot more filling and energizing than your typical wheat pasta!

8. Kale

Uses: This might sound incredibly stereotypically "healthy" as kale is the new crazed superfood, but it truly is so great. It has amazing benefits and can be used in so many different delicious ways! My favorites are to bake it in the oven with some olive oil and chili flakes or nutritional yeast for some crunchy kale chips, sauté it with some garlic to add delicious texture to any dish and eat it raw, massaging the kale till it wilts! (My favorite dressing to do so with is olive oil, tahini, tamari, lime and apple cider vinegar! It's my go-to dinner!)

Health benefits: High in fiber, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, packed with brilliant antioxidants, and is a great anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular and detox aid!

9. Sweet Potatoes

Uses: Of course my favorite and incredibly easy recipe is to cut them up and make sweet potato wedges and bake them with some coconut oil, cinnamon, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and thyme. Or cut them up even thinner to make crispy "fries", bake them in the oven and add delicious fillings like mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, spinach, or avocado). Spiralize them into noodles to sauté, use them as fillings for pies, make incredibly spiced muffins, and add them to a mix to make delicious brownies (Yes brownies)!

Health benefits: Brilliant sources of Vitamin B6, C, D, contain a healthy supply of iron and magnesium, potassium, beneficial for skins and anti-aging, and are said to assist in warding off cancer.

10. 100% Pure Maple Syrup

Uses: If, like me, you have a sweet tooth, go no further than 100% pure maple syrup as your go to sweetener in all your baked goodies like cakes and cupcakes. Pour it on as a traditional pancake topping, use as a marinade for things like sweet potatoes or brussel sprouts, and combine it with coconut oil and cacao powder to make the incredible chocolate shell and frosting mentioned above. Plus feel free to drizzle some on your porridge for added sweetness!

Health benefits: Contains minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium and important vitamins like B6. More importantly, it's a natural sugar so it doesn't give you those awful sugar spikes and crashes that refined sugars do!

Test and try some of these out to begin the journey to a more happy and healthy lifestyle without sacrificing any goodness!