10 Stages Of A Reading Slump

10 Stages Of A Reading Slump

For those who want to read but simply...don't.

2062
10 Stages Of A Reading Slump
Huffington Post

Hallelujah; my summer long reading slump has ended!

For those who have no idea what that means, a reading slump is a time in which an avid or hobby reader fails to read as much as they would like.

As they read this, my fellow bookworms are likely nodding their heads in chagrined agreement. In fact, they likely will agree with most or all of these ten stages of reading slumps...

1. It's not like you don't want to read.

You love reading. Reading is fun. Reading is good. Reading helps boost your brain power. Lack of interest is not what's driving this slump.

2. In fact, your To Be Read (TBR) list grows every day.

It's hard not to find something you want to read every day. For me, it's incredibly easy since I work at a library, but if you follow the right accounts online, you are always being enticed by shiny new titles and pretty new covers. And if you take a pit stop at the book store...well, forget it. Your wallet and bookshelf will be empty.

3. But you just never actually pick up the books you want to read.

Once you get your hands on some books for your TBR list, you put then on your bookshelf. The intent is to read them, but instead they sit on your desk and collect dust (unless you dust your books, in which case I applaud you).

At least they keep their new book smell longer...?

4. And when you do, you only read a few pages.

Eventually, you force yourself to sit down and read some of the books that are due back at the library in three days or cost you $15.99 at Barnes and Noble. At first, reading is such a familiar and friendly feeling. But then you have to put the book down...

5. Because you're always distracted.

It's not hard to get distracted in today's world. When you decide to do one thing, there's always a million other things you could be doing.

6. By Netflix.

It's so easy to waste your time on Netflix. Endless options, original content, automatic transition into the next episode of the TV series you're watching? No wonder people often find themselves staring at the "Are you still watching?" screen late at night-and not at the books you wanted to read.

7. Or the internet.

It's called "the world-wide web" for a reason. Want to look up relationship advice for a marriage you don't have? There's websites for that. Want to book a trip around the world you can't afford? There's websites for that too. Ironically, there's even book websites online that you can waste your time on; I can eat up the better part of an hour adding books to my shelves instead of reading. Yikes.

8. Or other pressing matters.

Sometimes you've got something actually important things to do. A lot of times, those things come to mind right as you're about to kick back and start enjoying yourself.

For me, once that happens, the relaxing part of relaxation time is over. And if I can't stop thinking about how I have homework due or bills to pay, I may as well do it, right?

Or I could go back to goofing off, but that's a quandary for another time.

9. When you finally sit down to read, it's almost foreign.

When I started reading again after my summer long slump, I had to shift around because I wasn't used to finding a comfortable position that allowed me to read more easily. I also had to try to turn off the urge to check my phone or get up and grab something every five minutes. Staying in the moment with the characters is the hardest thing when you're out of practice.

10. But then you forget why you stopped in the first place.

Once you get back into a story, it's impossible to not get sucked into that story's world. There's nothing like reading a good book, where you simultaneously tear through its pages and try to savor each sentence.

Now, here's to hoping that you can keep the streak going...