10 Songs to Remind You to be Thankful this Thanksgiving

It is no secret that 2020 has put us all through a lot- socially, politically, and of course, a *small* public health crisis. No big deal, really.

All this aside, it is more important than ever to take a step back and realize how lucky we are, in so many different ways. Maybe it's the promise of a break at home with our families or the holiday season coming up, but regardless, the holiday season is one to acknowledge how grateful we are for those around us. Thanksgiving, appropriately, is the best time to tell people how much you love them. I put together a playlist of songs to remind you to count your blessings a little extra this season, and included a link to the Spotify playlist below.

Happy listening!

50
  1. Blessings (Florida Georgia Line)

In all fairness, Florida Georgia Line's song is technically about a couple in love, but the message still rings true: it is not hard to count your blessings- be them big or small.

Thankful moment:

God made two lovers out of strangers, A little house on a little land, A little creek, a little Jeep,

Same old moon everybody sees, It sure ain't hard to count your blessings.

2. Humble and Kind (Tim McGraw)

We live in a world that is so focused on doing things faster, better, and more efficiently. McGraw's words remind us to never forget where we come from, and treat others with kindness- a reminder which we could all benefit from. PS- as someone who has lost both grandfathers, go visit yours whenever you can (with a mask, of course).

Thankful moment:

Go to church 'cause your mamma says to

Visit grandpa every chance that you can

It won't be wasted time

Always stay humble and kind

3. Thank You (For Being a Friend) (Andrew Gold)

Listen, we really would not have gotten through this year without our friends. This song is the theme song for the hit sitcom "The Golden Girls", starring Betty White, and the feel-good show was R&R during our lockdown. For those who want to thank their friends just for that- being there - this is the one for you.

Thankful moment:

Thank you for being a friend

Traveled down a road and back again

Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant

4. I've Got Plenty to be Thankful For

As someone who grew up listening to Seriously Sinatra on 99.1 on Sunday nights, Dean Martin is one of my favorite singers. His song (while older) reminds us that we may not have boats and caviar, but we do have so much more to be thankful for.

Thankful moment:

I've got plenty to be thankful for

I haven't got a great big yacht

To sail from shore to shore

Still I've got plenty to be thankful for

5. How Sweet it is (To be Loved by You) (James Taylor)

Maybe you dedicate this one towards that special someone, who happened to find you at just the right moment. Taylor's rendition of this classic song is a gentle message that being in love is truly, so sweet, and how important it is to show others how much that means to us.

Thankful Lyric:

How sweet it is, to be loved by you.

I needed the shelter of someone's arms, and there you were.

I needed someone to understand my ups and downs and there you were,

With sweet love and devotion, deeply touching my emotion.

6. Just like Magic (Ariana Grande)

Since "Positions" came out, I have been listening to Ariana Grande's new album non-stop, switching only to Christmas music. Just me? Okay. Anyway, "Just Like Magic" is one of her fun, lighthearted reminders to be open-minded and celebrate our own successes!

Thankful Lyric:

I just end up loving life.

Good karma, my aesthetic,

Keep my conscience clear, that's why I'm so magnetic.

Manifest it, I finessed it.

Take my pen and write some love that has to happen.

I just end up loving life

7. My Way (Frank Sinatra)

This song always manages to make me a little emotional. Sinatra reminds us the importance of living a truly good life, and what that sort of humility looks like. He too, has had regrets, but not enough to list, because all in all, we live beautiful lives.

Thankful Lyric:

I faced it all and I stood tall

And did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed, and cried

I've had my fill, my share of losing

And now, as tears subside

I find it all so amusing

8. The Best is Yet to Come (Frank Sinatra)

Okay, fine, there's more Sinatra on here than I anticipated. But, he does have a way with words, and this classic song is a beautiful reminder that, even though this year was a little (a lot) crazy, the best is yet to come for all of us.

Thankful Lyric:

Still it's a real good bet,

The best is yet to come

Best is yet to come and babe won't that be fine

You think you've seen the sun

But you ain't seen it shine

9. That's Life (Frank Sinatra)

Listen, sometimes we all really go through it. Whether it's not getting the grade we hoped for on an exam, not getting our dream job, or just having a bad day- it's a part of life. But, as Sinatra says, no matter how many times we get shot down, quitting is not an option, because we'll be back on top in no time.

Thankful Lyric:

That's life (that's life), I tell ya, I can't deny it

I thought of quitting, baby

But my heart just ain't gonna buy it

And if I didn't think it was worth one single try

I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly

10. There's a Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow (Rex Allen)

I am convinced that I am a 8 year-old trapped in a 21 year-old's body. I love Disney more than anything, and I cannot wait to go back to the Happiest Place on Earth. I stumbled upon this song when I was looking for a playlist that had all of the songs that Disney plays in the Magic Kingdom Parks, and while it may be cheesy, it's a friendly reminder that there's always tomorrow for magic to happen.

Thankful lyric:

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow

Shining at the end of every day

Like what you heard? Take a look at the Spotify album here.

Stay humble, Friars. Safe travels home.