10 Songs And My Personal Interpretation

10 Songs And My Personal Interpretation

Songs have the ability to be interpreted in many ways, these are some of my interpretations.

3968
10 Songs And My Personal Interpretation
Google

When I listen to music, I seem to find meanings in them. Whether they are meanings that are apparent in the lyrics or ones that I pick out from the words, I can find them. I did this for a project last year, in which I related the meanings of the songs to my life. This list includes certain lyrics from songs in which I found meaning.

1. “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten

Losing friends and I'm chasing sleep, Everybody's worried about me, In too deep
Say I'm in too deep, And it's been two years, I miss my home
But there's a fire burning in my bones, Still believe, Yeah, I still believe
And all those things I didn't say, Wrecking balls inside my brain
I will scream them loud tonight, Can you hear my voice this time?
This is my fight song, Take back my life song, Prove I'm alright song, My power's turned on
Starting right now I'll be strong, I'll play my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes, 'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me

This song has become my theme song the past few months. For me it means that I control my life and what goes on. I am taking that control back, and no one will stand in my way.

2. “People Like Us” by Kelly Clarkson

We come into this world unknown, But know that we are not alone
They try and knock us down, But change is coming, it's our time now
People like us, we've gotta stick together, Keep your head up, nothing lasts forever
Here's to the damned, to the lost and forgotten, It's hard to get high when you're living on the bottom
We are all misfits living in a world on fire, Sing it for the people like us, the people like us
Hey, this is not a funeral, It's a revolution, after all your tears have turned to rage
Just wait, everything will be okay, Even when you're feeling like it's going down in flames
They can't do nothing to you, they can't do nothing to me, This is the life that we choose, this is the life that we bleed
So throw your fists in the air, come out, come out if you dare, Tonight we're gonna change forever

This song is about people being different in the world. The video for “People Like Us” is a great way to see what the song portrays. In the video, the people look all the same, black and white, and they are studying a kid who is different (shown by her not being black and white). Kelly Clarkson is one of the ones “studying” the girl and why she is different, but takes the girl with her to where everyone is different. This song shows that the “misfits “are the ones who are different, the “people like us”. The meaning within this song is that within a world where everyone is trying to be the same, stand out and be yourself. Be different. Be unique.

3. "Stand By You" by Rachel Platten

Hands, put your empty hands in mine, And scars, show me all the scars you hide
And hey, if your wings are broken, Please take mine so yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you
Yeah, you're all I never knew I needed, And the heart—sometimes it's unclear why it's beating
And, love, if your wings are broken, We can brave through those emotions, too
Oh, truth—I guess truth is what you believe in, And faith—I think faith is having a reason
And I know now, love, if your wings are broken, Borrow mine 'til yours can open, too
Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you,
Even if we can't find heaven, I'm gonna stand by you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you

“Stand By You” is a great song to show that even if you think you are alone, there will always be a friend there to stand by your side and be someone that you can show every broken piece of yourself to. There is someone in each of our lives that will be that person for us.

4. "God Gave Me You" by Blake Shelton

There's more here than what we're seeing, A divine conspiracy, That you, an angel lovely
Could somehow fall for me, You'll always be love's great martyr, And I'll be the flattered fool
And I need you, Yeah!
God gave me you for the ups and downs, God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I lost my way, There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you
On my own I'm only, Half of what I could be, I can't do without you, We are stitched together
And what love has tethered, I pray we never undo

"God Gave Me You" is talking about much more than just lovers. For me, it is talking about friends. God put our friends in our lives for a reason. He did the same with my sorority sisters. He put them in my life for those times when I need more than just friends around. They have become my family and God gave them to me for a reason.

5. "My Faith in You" by Brantley Gilbert

'Cause I could stand to lose my faith in, Friends that come and go
Yeah they'll be there when you need them, They say that when you don't
I could give up on my heroes, Could let myself down too, But what would I do
If I lost my faith in You, My faith in You

This is another song about God, at least it is to me. I went through a time where I didn't think God was there in my life. That time was a struggle for me. When listening to this song for the first time, I realized that there was so much truth in this song. I truly could lose faith in everyone else, but if I lost all of my faith in God, I have no clue what I would do.

6."I Love You This Much" by Jimmy Wayne

Half way through the service, While the choir sang a hymn
He looked up above the preacher, And he sat and stared at him
He said, 'forgive me father', When he realized, That he hadn't been unloved
Or alone all his life, His arms were stretched out, As far as they'd go
Nailed to the cross, For the whole world to know
I love you this much, And I'm waiting on you, To make up your mind
Do you love me too?, How ever long it takes, I'm never giving up no matter what
I love you this much

This part of "I Love You This Much" has so much emotion in it. I believe that this part is about Jesus, when he looks above the preacher and stared at him, he is looking at Jesus on the cross. When I first heard this song, I was at the Grand Ole Opry. I had never heard of Jimmy Wayne before this performance, so hearing this song for the first time, I felt like I was hit hard in the chest. When I felt that feeling, it was when this particular verse was sung, and I realized that for the most part, this song is about Jesus. As a Catholic, I believe that Jesus loved us so much that he died on the cross for us. Hearing this song proved that. While we might feel alone and unloved at times, Jesus loves us, and he is waiting for us to make up our mind about loving him.

7. "Invincible" by Kelly Clarkson

Beat down on me, beat down like a waterfall, Cause I can take on so much more than I had ever dreamed
So beat down on me, beat down like a waterfall, 'Cause baby, I am ready to be free
Now I am invincible, No, I ain't a scared little girl no more, Yeah, I am invincible
What was I running for, I was hiding from the world, I was so afraid, I felt so unsure
Now I am invincible, And I'm a perfect storm
Now I am a warrior, a shooting star, You know I got this far, I had a broken heart
No one hears silent tears collecting, 'Cause it's being weak that's strong
In the truth I found, I have courage now, I'm gonna shout it out
Teacher, I feel the dots connecting

"Invincible" is about realizing that you are strong. You don't have to hide. After listening to this multiple times, I believe that this song should have been my theme song for the past few months. I had been hiding from things, not wanting to face the reality of what was going on in my life. But now, I am facing things. I'm not hiding anymore.

8. "Something in the Water" by Carrie Underwood

Well, I heard what he said and I went on my way, Didn't think about it for a couple of days
Then it hit me like a lightning late one night, I was all out of hope and all out of fight
Couldn't fight back the tears so I fell on my knees, Saying, "God, if you're there come and rescue me."
Felt love pouring down from above, Got washed in the water, washed in the blood and now I'm changed
And now I'm stronger, There must be something in the water

This is a song that is about God. In this song, I believe that the narrator has hit rock bottom, and is needing God to rescue her. I have hit that point in my life, and have needed God to lift me up. So while listening to "Something in the Water", that was what I took away from the song. God loves us and will lift us up when needed.

9. "Cold as Stone" by Lady Antebellum

I wish I was cold as stone, Then I wouldn't feel a thing
Wish I didn't have this heart, Then I wouldn't know the sting of the rain
I could stand strong and still, Watching you walk away
I wouldn't hurt like this, Or feel so all alone
I wish I was cold as stone

"Cold as Stone" is about a girl leaving and the guy wanting to go after her, but can't. The chorus is what really gets to me. There has been pain in my life, with multiple family members dying over the past few years. There have been times where I wish that I couldn't feel the pain, so hearing this song, I was able to relate to something.

10. "The House That Built Me" by Miranda Lambert

I know they say you can’t go home again. I just had to come back one last time.

I thought if I could touch this place or feel it, This brokenness inside me might start healing.
Out here it’s like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could just come in I swear I'll leave. Won't take nothing but a memory
From the house that built me.

The meaning of this song is more apparent. You can't go back to where you grew up and stay there. You can take the memories, but nothing else, you have to move on eventually. I put this song in terms of high school. I went to a somewhat small high school, made many friends over the four years I was there, and lots of memories were formed. But in the end, I realized that I can't truly ever go back there. Yes, I can physically go there and visit, but it's not the same. It's a different experience and all I see are the memories that I made there. It's the place that built me up to who I am now.