8 Songs to Help You Renew, Refresh, and Reorient

How much destruction and division can we take in before we lose ourselves?

148

A lot has been going on lately: Weapon testing, threats, natural disasters, clash of ideals. And to top of it off, there was a mass shooting recently. All of this death and destruction is enough to drive one to a dark place. Unfortunately, it seems as if we are already there.

Regardless of what the tragedy is, we always find some way to place blame...no, demonize one another. It has become increasingly common to belittle someone during a tragedy. Shouldn't we be using these moments to have each others backs and grow together?

To put it simply, we need to change. No I'm not talking about policy or ideology. Instead, we need to change, or rather reorient, ourselves.

Here are 8 songs and reflection points to help reorient yourself:

8.Bleed the Same by Mandisa

Are you aware of who you are talking to when you belittle and fight someone?

"We all bleed the same
We're more beautiful when we come together
We all bleed the same
So tell me why, tell me why
We're divided?"

7. Better Than I Found It by Danny Gokey (ft. Kierra Sheard)

When you speak or act, what is your goal? Are you trying to provoke? Or are you trying to be a light to those around you?

"I just wanna be a light, be a light, be a light
I just wanna be a light, every day and every night
And leave a better than I found it
A better than I found it
Leave a better than I found it, world!"

6. Whole World Is Watching by Within Temptation

Whether you are provoking or being a light, realize this: You are being watched. Every time you post or share something on social media, or go out into the world, the whole world becomes fixated on you. What do you want to be known for?

"The whole world is watching when you rise.
The whole world is beating for you right now.
Your whole life is flashing 'fore your eyes.
It's all in this moment that changes all."

5. The Real Me by Natalie Grant

If you want the world to see you as you are, you must be comfortable with the real you. Who are you? And what is your purpose?

"But You see the real me
Hiding in my skin, broken from within
Unveil me completely
I'm loosening my grasp
There's no need to mask my frailty
'Cause You see the real me"

4. Chasing by Danny Gokey (ft. Jordin Sparks)

When we take that first step to discovering ourselves, we often chase things that disrupts our path. Sometimes they are people, sometimes they are things. Even our dreams can lead us astray. Take a pause for a moment, and consider this: Who has been chasing after your heart? And how has it impacted the real you?

"I've been chasing dreams
Like wind chasing the falling leaves
I've been chasing things
But all this time Lord
You've been chasing me"

3. Stars by Skillet

For those of us that proclaim Christ as our savior, we realize that it is He who always chases us. But the question is: Do we allow Him to hold the stars in place when darkness surrounds us? For those who do not proclaim Christ as their savior, the question still stands: Who do you allow to hold the stars in your life?

"If you can hold the stars in place
You can hold my heart the same
Whenever I fall away
Whenever I start to break
So here I am, lifting up my heart
To the one who holds the stars"

2. Hills and Valleys by Tauren Wells

When you realize who has your back, you also realize the fact that you are not alone.

"On the mountains, I will bow my life
To the one who set me there
In the valley, I will lift my eyes to the one who sees me there
When I'm standing on the mountain aft, didn't get there on my own
When I'm walking through the valley end, no I am not alone!
You're God of the hills and valleys!
Hills and Valleys!
God of the hills and valleys
And I am not alone!"

1. I'll Find You by Lecrae (ft. Tori Kelly)

When you reach the point of reorienting yourself, pay attention to those around you. What do you see? More often than not, you see people struggling in the same manner as you did. Now that you realize who you are, and who is in your corner, it's time for you to be a light in someone else's life. Encourage and support those who are hurting.

"Just fight a little longer my friend
It's all worth it in the end
But when you got nobody to turn to
Just hold on, and I'll find you
I'll find you
I'll find you

Just hold on, and I'll find you"