10 Slam Poems To Check Out

10 Slam Poems To Check Out

My top ten favorite slam poems.

656
10 Slam Poems To Check Out
Button Poetry

If you haven't yet discovered the world of slam poetry, then you're in for a real treat. Poets across the world compile their innermost thoughts and translate them into one of the most cathartic performances that one could ever witness. Some poems are satirical and intended to give the audience a good chuckle. Others bear deeper messages and silence viewers in astonishment. No matter what morals you believe in or if you prefer comedy over seriousness, all of these slam poems from YouTube are sure to give you the chills.

Please view these videos with discretion. Poets are prone to colorful language and sensitive subjects.

1. Neil Hilborn - "OCD"

"She told me this was a mistake, but how could it be a mistake if I don't have to wash my hands after I touch her?"

Neil is an incredibly talented and multi-faceted writer whose poems range from brilliantly hilarious to downright devastating. This one is more towards the latter. It speaks of the reality of mental illness and how drastically his OCD affects his relationships. It is haunting, yet beautiful. It's a poem that has stuck with me and it is always one of my first recommendations when the subject of slam poetry is brought up (which isn't often, thus, this article). His deliverance of the poem brings me to tears every time and I often find myself wanting to snap along with the audience.

2. Blythe Baird - "Pocket-Sized Feminism"

"There are days I want people to like me more than I want to change the world."

Blythe is probably my favorite slam poet and I have seen this recent performance of hers no less than 20 times. She talks about the perils of silence in the face of sexism and sexual abuse and how feminists are prone to only talk about being feminists when it's convenient because women are scared of being tormented or insulted for their opinions. This is one of the most relatable poems that I've heard about feminism and I hope that it will inspire feminists and victims both to find their voices.

3. Javon Johnson - "cuz he's black"

"It's not about whether or not the shooter is racist, it's about how poor black boys are treated as problems well before we are treated as people."

This poem by Javon is too real. It was performed after the wave of news stories about police brutality and it is a startling account of how young black boys grow up learning to fear the cops. This performance is a roller coaster, going from lighthearted to emotional in mere seconds. It is absolutely worth the watch regardless of your race. (Tissues are recommended.)

4. Dominique Christina - "The Period Poem"

"[Because of] you and your disdain for what a body can do, herein begins an anatomy lesson infused with feminist politics because I hate you."

This poem is a bit longer than your typical slam poem, but it's definitely worth the extra minute or two. Dominique shares her poem from the perspective of a mother (truly a mother every girl wishes they had), but the story itself is a discussion about adolescence and how talking about menstruation has been construed as taboo. No other poem will fill you with empathy for young girls and the daily (or rather, monthly) struggles of women like this one.

5. Lily Myers - "Shrinking Women"

"I wonder if my lineage is one of women shrinking, making space for the entrance of men into their lives."

This is one of my all-time favorite commentaries on feminism. It discusses how men are taught to grow out while women are taught to grow in and the consequences of how this has affected Lily's and her mother's lives versus the men around them. This poem is so quotable and between the ingenious analysis of gender roles and the vivid imagery, this poem will keep you attached to the replay button.

6. Brenna Twohy - "Fantastic Breasts and Where To Find Them"

"Don't you give me raw meat and tell me it is nourishment. I know a slaughterhouse when I see one."

Brenna's bravery in writing and performing this poem is very inspiring. She begins with what seems like a humorous poem about the harmlessness of smutty fanfiction but transitions to a dissection of the porn industry and how the unreality of commercialized sex distorts relationships and adds to rape culture. Her passion is evident in every syllable and really makes you think twice about an industry that people tend to turn a blind eye toward.

7. Patrick Roche - "21"

"Seventeen, I start doing homework at Starbucks. I have more meaningful conversations with the barista than with my family."

This is another tragic poem that astounds me every time that I see it. Patrick is not only an excellent author, but he knows how to format his poems to make a groundbreaking point. This poem documents his father's alcoholism over the years, but in a completely unprecedented structure. You might have to see this twice for it to fully sink in, but both times are completely worth it.

8. Desireé Dallagiacomo - "Thighs"

"My thighs are always the elephant in the dressing room. My thighs hate Urban Outfitters, hate Banana Republic, hate f*****' American Apparel."

This is a great rebuttal to the thigh gap. This poem preaches being proud of your thighs and accepting your body, even if it doesn’t conform to society’s image of perfection. It transitions seamlessly into a commentary about rape culture and how a woman’s body isn’t designed to please men. The message of being confident in yourself is so empowering and it is sure to make you feel good about yourself!

9. Melissa May - "Dear Ursula"

"Ursula, I don't want you cut into bite sized pieces--you weren't easy to swallow for a reason."

This tribute to the iconic Disney villain was created after the release of a size 0 doll that was fashioned after her. This poem is full of rage and passion and anyone who understands having curves could benefit from hearing Melissa's empowering performance. Her ideology that fat signifies strength is inspiring and she offers a genius perspective on the lack of full-figured heroines in films.

10. Ollie Schminkey - "Boobs"

"I am not trapped in my body. I am trapped in other people's perceptions of my body."

Ollie is an phenomenal performer who advocates for queer and transgender acceptance, revealing how gender roles have impacted their coming out as queer and transitioning from female to male. This poem is so well-received because it is so personal to Ollie and the way that they talk about feeling trapped in their body is like a call-to-action. The first thirty seconds of this poem are so hilarious that you'll be glued to your screen for the rest of her performance.

Many more poems can be found all across YouTube on virtually all topics. If slam poetry sounds like something that would be interesting for you to participate in, it's never too late to pick up a notepad and get writing!