10 Seasonal Treats To Make This Autumn

10 Seasonal Treats To Make This Autumn

Prepare for the scents of pumpkin, cinnamon and brown sugar to waft through your kitchen.

131
10 Seasonal Treats To Make This Autumn
Recipe Diaries

Can you believe that the year 2016 is already two-thirds of the way over and that there are only four months before 2017 arrives? It seems as if time has passed too swiftly and without any regard to the rest of us. If you are like me, these final months are the best time of the year, encompassing the seasons of autumn and winter. And with September just around the corner, I cannot help but begin to envision all things fall-related. From the re-introduction of sweaters and scarves into my daily attire to trees abound with hues of red, orange and yellow, autumn is such a warm and lively time of year. What aspect of it is not to like? Certainly not the tasty treats that have derived from its seasonal associations to apples, pumpkin, cinnamon and the like.

With that said, I have gathered several recipes that I feel are definitive of autumn baking. If you love to bake as much as I do, stock up your pantry with cans of pumpkin puree, acquire some freshly picked apples, and invest in these recipes!

Pumpkin this, pumpkin that

1. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

The recipe says that these muffins taste incredible when they are moist, which can be achieved by 1) baking them for a minute less than the intended bake time, and 2) letting them sit for a day before you devour them. If you are looking for a healthier option, you can lose the chocolate chips and opt for simple pumpkin muffins. Find the recipe here!

2. Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Sugar Icing

Based on their outward appearance, these cookies are plain and unembellished, but as soon as you take a bite, you will probably taste the wide range of flavors concealed inside, including cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and, of course, pumpkin. Plus, you can never go wrong with a Martha Stewart recipe. Find it here!

3. Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

I could indulge in a limitless amount of breakfast food, so when I discovered this recipe, I became giddy inside. I love chocolate chip pancakes and eat them any time my family has a pancake breakfast on the weekends, but I am ready to put a different spin on the traditional buttermilk pancakes with this pumpkin spice twist. If you want to do the same, find the recipe here!

4. Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Scones

I am always slightly hesitant to try out new baking recipes for fear that the preparation will be too long, the instructions too complex, or the results too devastating. But upon reading the name of this treat, I can confirm that I will be making these scones sometime this fall. Not only are they pumpkin-flavored, but the flavor is coupled with cinnamon sugar and cinnamon glaze, forming the "snickerdoodle" part of this recipe; I cannot think of anything more delectable. Find out how to make these here!

Apples to apples to apples

1. Apple Crisp

Don't know what to do about those bags of apples you picked? Here is a delicious creation that will put those fruits to good use. Apple crisp is a versatile dessert because you can pair it with practically any topping. The recipe suggests vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, but I think a dollop of whipped cream will do just as well. Find the recipe here!

2. Caramel Apple Cupcakes

Cake recipes are generally easy to follow, and this one for caramel apple cupcakes is no different. You essentially combine each of the ingredients in succession and "mix until smooth". Like the pumpkin cookies and the diverse flavors hidden inside, this cupcake features cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and apples. Add the caramel buttercream, and you have an all-around, autumn-inspired treat. I doubt that the cupcakes I make will have perfectly shaped frosting with bakery appeal (as in the image), but sloppy frosting doesn't compromise taste, right? Find the recipe here!

3. Apple Pie Bites

Granny Smith apples are known to be good "baking apples", so here is one recipe that follows in this tradition. These bites are disguised as regular croissants, but the inside brims with deliciousness: brown sugar, apple pie spice, chopped pecans and the core ingredient (literally), a sliced Granny Smith apple. Find the recipe here!

More sweet treats

1. Cinnamon French Toast Bites

If you like the taste of cinnamon sugar donuts, then you might have an interest in this recipe that offers a variation of the traditional breakfast food, french toast! With the exception of cinnamon sugar, every other ingredient in this recipe is probably already in your kitchen (bread, milk, eggs, sugar, salt, etc.). After cooking these up, dip them in maple syrup and prepare to indulge. Find the recipe here!

2. Acorn Cookies

The name of this treat contains the word "easy", so if you have always thought baking was some daunting, time-consuming task, this recipe might just be perfect for you. These adorable acorn-shaped cookies require a mere three ingredients and absolutely no baking. Find the recipe here!

3. Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes

If you are not a fan of pumpkin but love pancakes, look into this recipe. An interesting characteristic about these pancakes is that they contain no dairy and, instead, use applesauce. Once they are made, drizzle on some maple syrup or honey, maybe sprinkle a few miniature chocolate chips on top, and you are good to go. Find the recipe here!

Hopefully a few of these recipes have enticed you to diversify your baked goods with something new or, for those who have never taken up baking, to begin so this fall!