9 Romantic Movies To Watch On Netflix

9 Romantic Movies To Watch On Netflix

Because we're two months into the school year and we could all use a break.

45
9 Romantic Movies To Watch On Netflix

Romantic movies are my absolute favorite genre of movie, which Netflix seems to understand because they keep producing new ones every year and bringing in old ones from years back. This mix of romcoms, historical romance, and teen romance movies have been my go-to for the past few weeks. Here are my top cringey (and not-so-cringey) romantic movies you can watch on Netflix today.

1. The Wedding Planner

In this movie, an unmarried wedding planner (Jennifer Lopez) falls in love with the groom (Matthew McConaughey) of a wedding she is planning.

I had no idea that Jennifer Lopez could act until I watched this movie! The scenes in this movie are hilarious, and both leads shine with their great acting and on-screen chemistry. This movie is from the 2000s, for those of you who are over this teen rom-com era.

2. Set It Up

Two overworked assistants (Zoey Deutch, Glen Powell) scheme to get their bosses together to get more free time for themselves.

The leads of this movie are cute and funny in this rom-com. They're setting up their bosses to be a couple, which is such a twist to the rom-com genre. Their interactions are very genuine, and with the help of some other, famous cast members (Lucy Liu, Pete Davidson), the movie aims high and doesn't miss.

3. Always Be My Maybe

Two childhood best friends (Ali Wong, Randall Park) meet again after breaking their friendship years ago. One is a famous chef without many close relationships, while the other is still in his hometown, with fears of the future.

I didn't know what I expected when watching this movie for the first time. Besides being some of the best Asian representation I've seen in a movie, the plot is well-thought-out, the acting is amazing, and Keanu Reaves makes a cameo! The end is very heartwarming and this movie is definitely worth a watch.

4. Sleepless in Seattle

A man (Tom Hanks) who has recently lost his wife and a woman (Meg Ryan) who is not in love with her fiance are both looking for a relationship. After the man's story is shared on the radio, a series of coincidences, meetings, and letters brings the two together in New York.

This movie is still so romantic despite how the two main characters barely meet throughout the movie. The series of coincidences in the movie is unrealistic but adds to the elegance and love-at-first-sight relationship between the leads. This movie is older (1993) from one of the best eras of rom-coms. Even if unrealistic, the different premise of the movie makes me highly recommend it.

5. To All The Boys I Loved Before (and Part 2)

A girl (Lana Condor) and a popular boy in school (Noah Centineo) fake-date to hide her crush on her sister's ex-boyfriend and make his ex-girlfriend jealous.

Of all the teen rom-com on Netflix, this is my absolute favorite. Despite the premise of the movie being very cliche, each of the characters spices the movie up in some way. It's also an added bonus that the movie has some diversity and that it doesn't romanticize terrible behaviors seen in many other teen rom-coms. In general, I would highly recommend this movie (and its sequel) for the characters and the solid storyline (coming from the books).

6. Pride and Prejudice

In this movie, Lizzie Bennet (Keira Knightley) is highly encouraged to marry to save her family's property. A rude, rich man (Matthew MacFayden) keeps getting involved in her life and her sisters'.

I am also a sucker for historical movies. This is not a rom-com, but it is a faithful adaptation to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Overall, the acting in the movie is solid, but the landscape and the beautiful soundtrack support the movie even more.

7. The Half of It

A girl (Leah Lewis) is asked by her classmate (Daniel Diemer) to start writing love letters to a girl (Alexxis Lemeire) that they both like.

This movie, while having a cliche premise, has non-cliche characters and a wonderful plot. Amazingly, the movie notices the main character and how she is Asian and lesbian, but does not force those to be the only aspects of her character. The movie is quiet but powerful and it's a worthwhile teen movie to watch in your free time.

8. The Princess Switch

Two identical women (Vanessa Hudgens), one a baker and the other a princess, decide to switch lives and in the process, they find their true loves.

While this movie is not the best plot-wise or character-wise, this combination of cringey Christmas movie and rom-com is perfect for a good laugh. Vanessa Hudgens doubles as the princess and the baker in this unique premise. Although this movie isn't as good as some of the others on this list, if you're wanting to feel the Christmas spirit early this year, this rom-com is the one to watch.

9. West Side Story

A girl (Natalie Wood) and a boy (Tony Beymer) from opposing gangs fall in love while trying to end the gang war.

This more-modern version of Romeo and Juliet puts an interesting spin to the characters by making them gang members instead of families. The storyline is pulled along by various coincidences, but this movie is both a classic and a musical. The characters are very expressive and hilarious, depite the weak plot and questionable casting. This movie is a must-watch for any musical lovers.

These Netflix movies are just a watch away. If you're a romantic movie fan like me, be sure to watch all of the ones on this list!