10 Rites of Passage Every Chess Player MUST Go Through

#7 Never Felt So Good

38
Abhinav Suresh

Rites of passage are famous in every society. From Bar Mitzvahs to graduations, everyone, at some stage in their life, has undergone a rite of passage. Chess players are no different! Yes, we chess players are nerds, but as a society, we have certain expectations to uphold. Even within our ranks, there are things to be done, appearances to keep! Here are 10 famous rites of passage for our forlorn chess player!

1. Getting Hustled in Washington Square Park

Washington Square Park has a long, long tradition of hosting extremely strong chess hustlers. If you’re an average peon like me, you probably have no chance. But still, win or lose, we can always say with a smug smile that we played there. It doesn’t matter that they shave down the clocks to make us flag quicker. No, what matters is what we experienced!

2. Going to the St. Louis Chess Club and Scholastic Center

Praise Caissa the Chess Goddess for Rex Sinquefield. This billionaire chess enthusiast has transformed St. Louis into the Chess Mecca of the United States. From the St. Louis Archbishops to the friendly players outside, this chess hub can satiate even the nerdiest amongst our midst.

3. Going to the World Chess Hall of Fame

Right next door to the Scholastic Center, the Hall of Fame is the arguably the most comprehensive museum of chess in the world. From exhibits of famous sets to the bookstore and more, the Hall of Fame truly exhibits our lore. Fischer’s famous scoresheets may never be replicated by we mere mortals, but if one needs inspiration, look no further than the Hall of Fame!

4. Playing in a Team Tournament

For me, it was always the River City Roundup tournament every year at the CenturyLink Center. Playing on a team gives a chess player something to fight for. It also gives us a unique position. Sometimes, even if we know we can win a game, we must take take the safe draw to secure the team win. In other cases, we must fight recklessly to squeak by with a team draw. In any case, playing on a team adds yet another element of strategy to this already convoluted game.

5. Getting Swindled in an Easily Winning Game

Ouch, if only this one would stop happening so frequently! Just kidding. But seriously, there is nothing more aggravating than that stubborn and highly skilled opponent who just keeps fighting on and on. Even when you’re winning up a piece with a crushing attack, you’ll find a way to mess up. Oh yes, you will ALWAYS find a way to mess up.

6. Losing in a Money Round

You’ve done it! You’ve fought a hard, hard tournament and you just need one more win, or if you’re lucky, just another draw to win the whole dang thing! You play cautiously, methodically, almost as if in a trance. You can’t help but feel the sweet taste of the money ALMOST in your wallet. But then a loss happens, and all your dreams of buying chess books are dashed. Sorry, pal. Better luck next time.

7. Winning in a Money Round!

Inevitably, this will happen. It may take 10, 20, or even a million losses in money rounds, but eventually, a win will grace your presence. There’s no better feeling. You fought a hard tournament, and in the crucial round, you didn’t choke! Congrats. Enjoy your winner’s bounty.

8. Watching "Pawn Sacrifice"

From a chess player’s perspective, this movie had its ups and downs. But I must say, they made chess seem exciting even to the most chess-impaired person out there. Plus, Tobey Maguire’s portrayal was truly quite excellent.

9. Reading the Most Popular Chess Books of All Time

‘My System’ and ‘How to Reassess Your Chess’ are incredibly popular amongst us. We may want to watch Nakamura play bullet chess, but if we ever want to get better, it’s time to book up and get smart!

10. Bughouse!

The older players gripe and shake their heads. The younger players go overboard. But when executed just right, Bughouse chess is just about the greatest variant on Earth. No large positional nuances to consider. Just tactics, attacking, and victory. And as every chess player knows, the greatest lament in chess is that we have only ourselves to blame for a loss. Not this time! Remember, it’s always your partner’s fault.