10 Reasons Playing Collegiate Sports With Your Sister Is The Best

Thank you for being my volleyball person.

115
Melanie Troyer

Life has always been fun growing up with sisters who were so close in age and all loved sports equally. In third grade, my twin sisters taught me how to pepper in the driveway- a volleyball term used when you pass and hit the ball back and forth. As we grew older, we stuck with the game of volleyball and played year-round. Being able to play with your sister in high school is amazing, but having the opportunity to play with your sister in college is something I'll never forget. Once you have the option to choose your college and where you'd like to continue your athletic career, don't overlook the opportunity to play with your sibling. There is no one else I would have wanted to ride all the waves of college athletics with.

1. You always have someone to ride with to practices and games.

Whether you go to a big university or a smaller community college where you have to commute, you and your sister can take turns driving to practices and back to wherever you live after games. This also gives you time to talk or vent about what happened during that day. My sister and I would always stop for lunch or coffee after practices and it was always nice talking about the game afterwards and what the team accomplished and how we can improve to better the team.

2. You get to celebrate each others' victories.

Playing a collegiate sport with your sister is different than playing with each other in high school. Seeing your sister excel at what she has worked so hard for in college makes it all worth it. Being on the court with her and helping her be able to raise her kill percentage or going after a ball she saved is worth it. When your sister wins an award, the smile on her face might end up meaning more to you than it does to her.

3. Your family never has to choose.

When you decide to play in college with your sister, your whole family never has to choose what game they want to attend for the night. Your mom and dad get to come to twice as many games because half the family is playing on the same court at once. And once senior night comes along...it is something really special.

4. You all of the sudden don't have first names, because everyone calls you two by your last name.

This doesn't mean you lose your sense of individuality, you just start to become a pair. "Troyer's do this!" Or, "Troyer's go over there." After all, two has always been better than one.

5. Group pictures on picture day.

Your parents no longer have to pay for individual pictures for different schools because you've been taking team pictures with each other ever since elementary.

6. Your sister still loves you even after you've had the worst game of your life.

Sure, when you're on a team with your sister, you're bound to yell at each other a few times because you're comfortable with one another. But after you have a really bad game, she'll be the first one to tell you to "shake it off" or "It's okay, you'll get it next time." You can talk and vent to each other any time you need to.

7. There's nothing quite like cheering in each others' face after your sister hits the game winning kill or you have a stellar dig.

Cheering for your teammates is something you should always do. When your sister hits the game winning kill, you may even be more excited than her. With volleyball always being a team effort, it feels good to celebrate each others' victories, big or small, by obnoxiously hugging each other or tackling each other on the court.

8. You two will be bus buddies for every season.

It doesn't get better than being bus buddies with a sister. You two get to share a pizza on the way home from games, you aren't afraid to sleep on each other if you have to share a seat on the way to a game, and she may even let you listen to her music when you forget yours. The best part was always when my sister didn't want any pizza after the game so I got a whole one to myself! Ha!

9. You get to live with someone who wants to see you improve every day.

One of the best parts of playing a collegiate sport with your sister is you two will always have each other to help each other improve. You wake up together and eat breakfast, always have a lifting buddy, and always have someone who is going to tell you things straight up without having to beat around the bush. Family always wants the best for one another. If there is any room for improvement, your sister won't just tell you...she'll help you reach it.

10. You stop having good and bad days, and end up just having good days all the time.

By this I mean nothing will ever feel like a bad day because you always have your sister right by your side. Along with having your team, you and your sister get to experience all the perks of college athletics together. From all the school work, to the traveling, the free gear, and the memories made that will surely last a lifetime.

From all the tears, laughs, losses, and victories, I wouldn't have wanted to use my college eligibility with anyone but my sister. I'm thankful for the game of volleyball and for all the memories my sister made with me.