Reasons For The "Tiny House Movement"

Reasons For The "Tiny House Movement"

Why going tiny is getting big

30
Reasons For The "Tiny House Movement"

"Tiny Houses" are sweeping the nation, leaving both enthusiasm and confusion in their wake. After years of the average size of an American home growing exponentially, these micro structures seem to fly in the face of normality with style and pride. So what are these, "Tiny Houses"? And why are they stealing the hearts of so many? Here are "10 Reasons for Tiny Houses", to help you catch up with this new lifestyle!

1. Save Money in Style

More and more people are choosing jobs they love over jobs that come with big pay checks. Instead of this dooming dreamers to stay renters forever, Tiny Housers are able to purchase a home of their own, often debt free! Tiny Homes range in price, but generally fall somewhere in the 15,000-50,000 dollar range. Compared to hundreds of thousands on a traditional house, that's a steal! Not to mention, Tiny Houses save homeowners a tidy bundle on monthly utilities like electric.

2. Save the Environment

Tiny Homes may mean reducing that carbon footprint you've been hearing so much about. As a part of living off grid and avoiding pesky electric and sewage hookups, many homeowners choose to install solar panels, like those pictured above, and use composting toilets. Yay for eco-friendly poop!

3. Do it Yourself

Tiny houses work best when they are tailored to meet the individual needs of homeowners. This means picking out every element of the design. Soaker tub, herringbone floors, subway tile, you name it, you can choose it. The self-build element also leaves homeowners with a great sense of accomplishment and pride in their home. This makes Tiny Home living all the more sweet.

4. Live Outside

By nature, Tiny Homes are, well tiny. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it encourages homeowners to spend more of their time outside. We have a great beautiful world, and Tiny Homes encourage us to get out there and spend more of our everyday time enjoying it.

5. Live Closer

Big Houses mean more walls to separate, but Tiny Houses mean togetherness. Part of the virtue of such a small space is that it requires the family to learn to live together in harmony.

6. Downsize

Tiny Houses mean tiny storage, so homeowners have to do some serious downsizing. That high school trophy, that desk clutter, and that collection of souvenir shot glasses, those things usually have to go. One key area is wardrobe. But how many times have you walked into a full closet and had nothing to wear? Not in a Tiny House! These small spaces go hand in hand with "capsule wardrobes", wardrobes with very few but very versatile pieces. This eliminates a crowded closet and makes getting dressed 3x easier!

Rather than suffering regret after parting with so much, Tiny Home owners often report feeling liberated. Many rent storage at first, but after living tiny, they don't rememeber what's in it or why they thought they needed it!

7. Adaptability

Limited space and a home designed for travel demand adaptability, especially when it comes to utilities. Homeowners have to make tough choices when it comes to things like dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, stovetops, fridges, and toilets. This composting toilet uses sawdust and a closed compartment and allows homeowners to avoid pesky sewage hookups.

8. Functionality

Every nook and cranny of a Tiny House is put to good use! This breakfast nook bench also functions as kitchen storage. A staircase can double as a bookshelf and a nook for the fridge. A couch can hide extra storage under the cushions!

9. They are Adorable

Let's be real. Tiny Homes, much like tiny pigs, teacups, and cupcakes, are adorable. And that alone often seems like reason enough to hop on board with the Tiny House Movement.

10. Mobility

Isn't the heart of America a desire to explore the unknown? As a nation we have been a mobile people: migrating natives, immigrants, cowboys, and space explorers. Emerson is our poet and "wanderlust" has gripped our hearts. The "Tiny House Movement" offers us the opportunity to embrace this ideal and live out our daydreams. Why not have a home that can follow you wherever your life may wander?

...

Catching Tiny House Fever? Here are some extra special small spaces you should check out!

This trendy young couple built one of the most beautiful tiny houses you can find!

This Tiny House combines beauty, functionality, and privacy.

This book nook that is just gosh darn adorable.

This family proves that tiny living can work for families of all shapes and sizes. Also, they have a sustainable home with a lovely garden.