10 Reasons Southern Hospitality Still Matters

Having southern hospitality isn't just a mentality, its a way of life.

76
dribble

Growing up in a fairly small town in west Texas, hospitality isn't an option its the way we were raised. Being hospitable has always been more than just a "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" its building relationships with your neighbor or waving to someone even if you don't know them simply to be kind. I've never known anything different simply because this was how I was raised, but lately it seems the media has been so full of negativity and disrespect for each other. I believe having hospitality isn't just a simple action we take here and there, but more a way of life and the basis of how we should treat our each other.

Here are 10 instances that southern hospitality are an absolute must:

1. Always, Always, Always treat your parents with the utmost respect. They gave you life, the least you could do is show them a little respect. My mother instilled within me 'The Golden Rule' for as long as I can remember. To treat others how you wish to be treated is a pretty simple task to achieve respect. After all, your Mom and Dad typically end up being two of the most important people in your life, showing them the respect they deserve is a simple task.

2. Use your manners, even if it seems like an impossible task. Have you ever heard the saying 'take the high road' or 'be the bigger person'? These apply always. Although we might not always agree with the one we are in conversation with or who we encounter, having respect and using our manners is ALWAYS the right thing to do.

3. Take the time to smile or wave to those you encounter. It's amazing how such a simple gesture can brighten someones day.

4. Be appreciative for everything you have and always write Thank You notes . . . always. Even if it was for attending a dinner or thanking someone for a gift, a simple thank you note makes a world of difference.

5. Gentlemen, don't forget to be a Gentleman. There is nothing more attractive to a woman then a man with good manners and a little southern charm to go along with it.

6. Never forget your past, so spend some time with your elders to thank them and show appreciation for all they've done. In my books, we wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the hard work and dedication of our grandparents and their parents. They've done so much in their lifetime, they deserve endless respect and affection for the love they've given us.

7. Never take for granted the 'simple things' in life. Blue Bell, sweet tea, pecan pie, and a good barbecue sandwich are just a few things people underestimate from the south. Sitting on the front porch or the swing in the backyard drinking a tea as the day winds to an end is my side of heaven. Life moves so fast, don't forget to stop and enjoy a bowl of Blue Bell every once in a while.

8. Remember when its appropriate to 'bite your tongue' A big part of maintaining southern hospitality is knowing when to hold back and keep your opinion to yourself or when it should be heard. Right along with respect, it's acceptable to take the 'high road' and keep to yourself what you might be dying to get out.

9. Always be gracious to your host. After all they are doing the hosting, the least you could do is try and make your host's life a little easier, if possible. My mom always taught me 'If they made your meal, the least you could do was help clean up."

and lastly,

10. Don't ever forget where you came from, and be thankful for that southern hospitality that was instilled in you from birth. Never be ashamed where you came from, although this doesn't ever seem to be a problem for most southerners it is always good to remember and feel pride for your home. I couldn't imagine living life without the manners and respect my parents gave me and taught me to have.

Thank you & Bless your heart.