10 Reasons Why I'm Not a Typical Fashion Major

I'm not like the others.

45

As my first year of college concludes, I thought I'd list the top 10 reasons why I'm not a typical fashion major.

1. I hate pink.

I remember at one point my favorite colors were pink and blue. Maybe that's just because my birthstone, opal, has both colors in it, but I was never a girly girl. I grew out of that pink and blue phase though. Although I had a few barbies, my favorites were the ones with blue dresses. You know Anneliese and Erika from Barbie princess and the Pauper? I dressed up as Erika for Halloween in 1st grade.

2. I have no more than 10 pairs of shoes.

Is it normal to have 50? Most girls probably have that many, but I for one do not have the space or money for them. I usually just wear what I have until I can't any longer. My favorites are my riding boots and Sperry Topsiders. I've always wanted to be one of those people who collect shoes, but I still don't even have my own room, let alone my own closet. Money is a huge factor in this one.

3. I hate shopping.

Well, I'm not a fan of it, anyway. Shopping gives me anxiety. I just want to go in a store, find what I'm looking for, and get out - no hassle. But - I have to try everything on before I purchase it. I don't like having to return something if I find out later that it doesn't fit as I imagined it would. So to save myself that trouble, I give myself other trouble - the torture of trying on tens of clothing items, only to find that only about five items are actually decent on me.

4. I don't really care for hand-held handbags; get me an everyday cross body and I'm good to go.

Is this really necessary to explain? I like being hands-free. I don't want a bag to carry in my hand like I'm some sort of model or posh celebrity. I'm all about comfort, so when it comes to handbags, I'd really prefer it to not actually be hand-held.

5. Heels are a definite no in my wardrobe. #sorrynotsorry

Again, I go for comfort - so no heels; wedges if necessary. I have flat fleet, so I don't really own any ballet flats, or sandals with absolutely no heel, but I will say that I'll never wear heels over two inches, no matter how wide the heel, let alone stilettos.

6. And Dresses and skirts, you'll rarely see me in them.

I went to a Catholic school from K-8. It wasn't fun having to wear a jumper for six years, and then a skirt for three, with never the option to wear shorts or trousers. I think it scarred me, and maybe that's why I'd prefer not to wear them anymore. Nothing is fun when you are forced to do it. The same goes with fashion. If you're forced to wear it when you don't want to, you probably won't end up wearing it once you're in control of what you can wear. You'll rarely see me in dresses, skirts, polo shirts, and knee highs. I always wore shorts under my jumper and skirt as well, and that habit has stuck with me since. This makes it hard to even find dresses or skirts I would wear today, since I'll only wear them if I can wear shorts under them, and have the shorts not be seen underneath. Don't want to have a Marilyn Monroe moment.

7. Fashion over comfort is definitely not my motto.

This is really self-explanatory. You already get it.

8. I don't get excited when I think of New York City.

New York City. You mean the smelly, dirty, busy city where it's never quiet and there's always traffic? Yeah, no thanks. I live 45 minutes away from the city, and I'd prefer not to go there. I have faced the fact that my future job may be there, but if I can help it, I will definitely not live there. Did I mention it's an expensive place to be? Sure, it's pretty once you get passed all the dirt, noise, and save up money for a trip, but once again, I'd prefer the suburbs. How about Europe?

9. I don't change my accessories often.

On a day to day basis, I usually just stick with my pendant necklace, pearl earrings, and opal ring. If I have an event, I usually just change my necklace. That's about it. In elementary school I changed my earrings every day. Accessories were the only form of expression I had back then, and so I changed the color of my studded heart earrings from Claire's every day. I stopped frequently changing my earrings around sophomore year of high school. It's more convenient to just have a classic pair of earrings year-round.

10. I've never seen an episode of Project Runway.

I didn't even know what channel it was on until I began writing this. Jane by Design, Say Yes to the Dress, What not to Wear, and The Carrie Diaries were my go-to TV shows back in the day, not to mention the endless videos from beauty gurus on YouTube. In fact, I didn't even know Project Runway existed until high school, and that was when I stopped watching TV and focused more on my studies. Maybe I'll watch it some day and be hooked, but until then, I'm perfectly satisfied without it.