10 Reasons Millennials Should Never Visit U.S. National Parks

Make sure you understand the repercussions that come with visiting a national park

175
National Park Foundation

Some say that United States National Parks are some of the most underappreciated pieces of land in the world. While that may or may not be true, I strongly believe that everyone should form their own opinions on that matter, and what better way to do so than by visiting U.S. National Parks yourself? There are 59 National Parks in the United States, and I have had the opportunity of visiting 12 of them thus far.

Visiting a United States National Park is quite an experience for anyone, but I think the latter is especially true for millennials. I am a millennial, and nobody ever warned me about the repercussions of visiting a National Park. So, if you’re a millennial and you’re reading this, keep these 10 things in mind before you decide to visit one of our nations national parks.

1. National Parks are full of views that will literally take your breath away.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Common symptoms of some of the views you will find in a United States National Park include a full, racing heart, the need to catch your breath and in severe cases, tears of joy due to the spectacular sight in front of you. No one would want to see a sight that beautiful. If you are wondering if you can handle the amazing beauty that is within our nation’s national parks, take a look at the picture below that I recently took at Glacier National Park in Montana. (But please, view at your own risk!)

2. National Parks will allow you to view wildlife in a way you have never imagined.

Our nation’s national parks serve as homes to some of the most magnificent species of plants and animals in the world. From the moose and grizzly bears in Glacier National Park, to the enormous alligators and beautiful Cyprus trees in Florida’s Everglades, all the way back to the roaming Bison in Yellowstone, the United States’ very first national park, visiting a national park will ensure that you will get to experience a once in a lifetime encounter with wildlife. So, it’s probably best to stay away from national parks so you don’t get mauled by a bear or trampled by a herd of bison. That would be really unfortunate, considering we millennials need to stay around to fix the housing market and whatnot.

3. There is not always cell phone service in all parts of National Parks.

WHAT?! OMG I know right?! Visiting a national park means that you actually have to disconnect for a little while, and I’m pretty sure that if we go more than 2 days without making an Instagram post, we like, spontaneously combust or something like that. You definitely do not want to take the risk and actually have to commune with nature and enjoy the earth that we have been given, and that has given us so much. LOL.

4. You can camp (in an actual tent) underneath the stars in a National Park.

I know it sounds crazy, but there are actually people who thoroughly enjoy giving up air conditioning and memory foam mattress toppers for sleeping bags and bugs. Many say that camping in US National Parks is actually an unforgettable experience because you get to sleep underneath thousands of shining stars that aren’t blocked out by city lights. However, camping in a U.S. National Park is very peaceful, calm, quiet and tranquil, which is just too much for the fast-paced life of a millennial. Just keep that in mind next time your crazy uncle suggests a family vacation camping in one of our nation’s national parks.

5. There are a lot of unique places to swim in many of the National Parks.

You can raft along the river that runs through the base of the Grand Canyon, soak in the warm, mineral rich waters of Hot Springs National Park or take a dip in icy cold Lake McDonald in Glacier, just to name a few of the water sources in U.S. National Parks that can provide hours of entertainment. While that sounds great and all, haven’t you seen the post everyone shared on Facebook about the man who caught the flesh eating bacteria from going swimming? We better stick to our neighborhood pools to cool down those hot summer days. You never know what could be in some of the cleanest, purest water in the world.

6. There are over a thousand hikes to choose from in all of our nation's national parks combined.

Some of the best, most beautiful and most exhilarating hikes in the world can be found within U.S. National Parks. In fact, the hike down to Havasupai Falls in the bottom of the Grand Canyon has consistently made many top 10 lists of best hikes. Not to mention the colorful hikes of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah, or the cool, crisp feeling of a fall hike in Grand Tetons, Wyoming. While hiking does sound nice, it can take up a large majority of the day, and millennials just don’t seem to have that kind of time to waste enjoying the beauty of nature.

7. Visiting National Parks supports the U.S. Economy.

When people decide to travel to places within the United States as opposed to travelling internationally, they are supporting not only our national economy, but local economies as well. There are small towns around almost every national park in the U.S. that survive solely off of businesses from tourists and national park visitors. That’s really great and all, but who would want to go to some “special forest” when you can fly to Paris? The Eiffel Tower would get so many more likes on Instagram.

Plus, if we support our local economies and businesses begin thriving again, what are we going to use as an excuse to live in our parents' basements?

8. Visiting U.S. National Parks is a great way to learn about our country's history.

National Parks are full of rich history, and many of the national parks that are located in the western or midwestern United States are surrounded by historic Indian Reservations. Many national parks also have national monuments within or very near them, such as Mount Rushmore, which is a part of Badlands National Park in South Dakota. Why would we actually want to learn about history though? Who cares if history repeats itself, I’m pretty sure that since we’re millennials, we’ve got it all figured out and under control. If you are going to visit a U.S. National Park, be prepared for an annoyingly unsolicited history lesson.

9. There are a lot of fun, interesting and different activities you can partake in in every U.S. National Park.

From canyoneering through Zion National Park in southern Utah, to horseback riding through the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, each U.S. National park boasts some different form of recreation. While repelling down red rocks in Utah’s Arches National Park and rock climbing up the side of a mountain in the Rockies would warrant some pretty cool Snapchats, you’re almost guaranteed to get dirty while doing so. And then where would you wash off? Remember that whole “sleeping under the stars” thing? Yeah, it doesn’t come with a nice tile shower…pass.

10. You become very connected to mother nature while spending time in a U.S. National Park.

Since there is limited cell phone service, no Starbucks and nowhere to charge your iPhone, your only option when visiting a national park is to spend time enjoying the outdoors. Sure there might be some pretty views and awesome experiences, but what’s the point if I can’t Facebook Live to all my friends what an awesome time I’m having. And everyone knows that if it wasn’t on your story, it probably didn’t happen.

While the United States has some pretty amazing national parks, it’s probably best for our millennial generation to stay at home in our safe spaces, instead of exploring the beautiful land we have been given. Who would even want such an amazing experience?