10 Reasons Why Attending Penn State Will Change Your Life

Choosing a college may be difficult, but Penn State is really the right way to go.

80
Wikipedia

Deciding on a college to attend is a difficult task for any high school senior on the verge of graduating. They have to consider the cost, location, if they would know anyone else going, etc. For me, I definitely put all things into perspective when choosing where I would spend my four (or five) years of college, but I didn’t know that attending Penn State specifically would change my life.

1. I met a TON of new friends.

I knew that my choice to attend one of the largest universities in the country would force me to make new friends. I never had a problem with talking to anyone, so I had a good feeling that I would be able to make friends with the people in my dorm and the people in my classes. I can even consider some of my college friends people that I will be friends with for a long time after graduation.

2. I became more outgoing.

Like I said before, I never really had a problem talking to people, but college definitely made me a more outgoing person. I’ve learned how to talk about anything with anyone and to just go with the flow in certain situations. It’s kinda important to be more outgoing at a school like Penn State, so I took advantage of every social situation and made myself some new friends.

3. I learned how to deal with the harsh Pennsylvania winter.

Sometimes I would think that South Jersey winters were rough, but I was wrong once I had to put on a parka and walk to class in below freezing temperatures. With the added wind chill, I sometimes thought I wouldn’t be able to complete my walk to class. However, I’m glad I’ve gotten a taste of what “cold” really feels like, so when it’s only 40 degrees at home, it doesn’t even affect me.

4. I became more independent.

It is only expected that every college student becomes more independent once they’re finally living on their own. However, going to such a large school with thousands of people and thousands of opportunities, I had to really find my place and do things to benefit me and my future. I really learned how to account for the important things in life.

5. The Creamery has always been, and always will be, a must.

Whether it’s 80 degrees in the beginning of the fall semester, or freezing cold in the middle of February, there is never a bad time to get ice cream from the Creamery. Any Penn Stater can attest to the fact the Creamery was a big factor in their choosing of the university for college. Also, not many people can say that they have a fully stocked ice cream parlor on their campus…

6. Football season was better than I ever imagined.

I always knew that Penn State football games were awesome, but I never knew what it would be like to actually experience one. Let’s just say that at my first football game, I knew that I chose the right school. The energy and pride from the thousands of people in the stadium really hyped me up and was just a preview as to what the rest of my time at school would be like.

7. THON is actually the best thing that ever happened to me.

As a follow-up to the football games, THON had always been something I looked forward to. Everyone always says how it’s one of the best things that Penn State does and that the final four hours are the greatest moments for anyone to experience, but I didn’t know how great of an impact it would have on me. THON really brought me closer to my friends and all of Penn State and it’s such an indescribable experience.

8. I’ve really gotten the full “college experience”.

From frat parties to football games to downtown State College, I feel like I’ve gotten the full package by coming to Penn State. Everyone always looks for schools that will offer them perfect “college experience” and Penn State really did that for me and for everyone else that goes here.

9. There’s always something I have to do.

Again, there is never a dull moment at Penn State. There are always events happening on campus and downtown that appeal to every student here. I could go out to a frat with my friends one night and go to a sporting event the next. No matter what, we always find something to do and enjoy doing whatever it is.

10. “We Are” truly brings the Penn State community together.

Before becoming an actual Penn State student, I didn’t fully grasp the concept and impact of “We Are.” I always knew that it was said at sporting events and just throughout campus to anyone, but when I really thought about it, it is true that we all are Penn State. All of us Penn Staters can come together for any cause or any event and make each other feel like a big family or community.