10 Promises To My Future Child

10 Promises To My Future Child

I'll love you forever, forever and always

658
10 Promises To My Future Child
Glen V Fondufe

To my future child,

In a world full of hate, I would like you to know that I will give you nothing but unconditional love -- no matter what. No matter what you are, what you like or who you want to be, I will give all of the love I can muster within my soul to you. I may have only lived a short life thus far, but I have learned a lot about the world and about myself in this short time span. I want to share these lessons with you. With that said, here are 10 promises I vow to keep to you for forever and always.

1. Never say, "He/she will be a doctor, president, star, etc. one day."

While I would love you to be any of those things, I'll love and support you just the same if you want to be a photographer for the local newspaper, a freelance writer struggling to make it in New York, or a server at your favorite restaurant. I will never push any type of life on you that you do not want. I want you to follow your dreams, wherever they may take you, for dreams are where we are truly happy.

2. Play outside with you every day.

Too many kids in my day are stuck in a virtual world. I promise to take you outside each and every day to experience the magical world we live in. We will play hide-and-seek in luscious fields of green. I'll climb up the tallest tree in our backyard with you so you can experience the world from a different perspective. On rainy days, we'll bust out our rain boots and splash in the puddles, then wait for the sun to come out and paint a rainbow across the sky (with a pot of gold at the end, of course). I'll make sure you have a greater appreciation for this earth we are so blessed to live on, much greater than those who take it for granted.

3. Love you unconditionally, no matter your sexual orientation.

In the wise words of Lady Gaga (an old favorite from back in my day): "No matter gay, straight, or bi, lesbian, [or] transgender," I will not only love you, but I will wholeheartedly accept you and support you. Your sexuality does not change the wonderful person I know you will grow up to be. It does not matter whom you choose to love, as long as you are giving love back to a world which needs it.

4. Teach you to have high standards for yourself.

I want you to see the potential in yourself. So many people go through life without seeing how much incredible power they carry within themselves. As your future mother, I promise to help you in uncovering that power and guiding you through life's journey, showing you along the way how you can use your capabilities to your greatest advantage. I will push you to be the very best you can be at whatever task you do; you will learn that even the simplest tasks should be completed to the best of your abilities.

5. Teach you to have high standards for others.

Having high expectations does not stop at yourself. I promise to teach you that the people that come into your life should meet the high standards you hold for yourself, as well. This will ensure that you keep only the people who push you to live up to your expectations and who help you to surpass your potential. Do not accept anyone into your life that does not meet your expectations or limits you; you will only be cheating yourself. But don't worry -- moms know best and I will be there every step of the way to protect you.

6. Not get mad when you fail.

If you give your all to something and end up falling flat on your face, I will not get mad at you. I will not raise my voice. I will not say, "I told you so." I will fall with you and be there to pick up the pieces and set you back on the right track. Humans are not perfect, and parents aren't either; making mistakes is a part of life and are something that you will frequently learn from.

7. Always help you with your homework.

Homework sucks. I promise to struggle through your times tables with you. I'll attempt to remember calculus and fail miserably, but we'll find the answer together. There are the perks of having an English major as your mother: free editing on all your papers (no matter how long).

8. Read with you every night.

I already started a book collection that is currently taking up half of my closet and these books will be a part of our library at home. I promise to read to you every night before bed, any book you choose. I want to watch your eyes light up with wonder as you experience the magical world of Harry Potter for the first time, just as I did when I was a kid. I hope you find books as enchanting as I do.

9. Be your shoulder to cry on.

I know kids don't think their parents understand them, but trust me when I say this: everything you've been through, I've probably been there, too. Don't be afraid to release your feelings. You're a human being, not a tightly-sealed bottle. Scream if you have to. Cry hysterically in my arms. Tell me about your latest crushes. I want to hear all of it. I want to hear about the things that make you laugh and about the things that make you cry. I want to know what you're passionate about. So let it all out to me; I'm hear to listen and direct you.

10. Be the best mom I can be.

Like I said before: nobody is perfect, including me. But I will go through hell and back to make sure I am the best damn mother you could've ever wished for. I will understand you, support you, and love you forever and always, to the moon and back. I will be at every dance recital. At every soccer game. At every chorus concert. At every school play. I will be there for you. We will have our rough patches--every parent and child does -- but I will never give up on you or us.

We may not be meeting for a long time, but these promises to you are mine to keep.

Love always,
Your future mom

P.S. I'm going to be the coolest mom out there, kid.