10 Things To Take Your Prayers Beyond A Wish List

“The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.” James 5:16

316

So many of us are guilty of praying to God for things that we want: to ace that test that you have been struggling with, to allow you to finally meet the man that you are supposed to end happily ever after with, or to just be financially stable, etc… but God isn’t a genie in a bottle, and our relationship with Him shouldn’t be limited to Him being a grant-giver. It should go so much deeper than that. Instead, here are some things that we should be praying for:

1. For forgiveness: After all, Jesus did die for our sins and we are not perfect by any means. Pray to God to forgive you for your sins. Our God is a forgiving God and no matter what, He will always love you unconditionally, and when you ask for forgiveness He will graciously forgive you and cleanse you. That’s what is so beautiful about our relationship with God. 1 John 1:9.

2. To thank Him for all the things that He has blessed you with: God allowed you to open your eyes and allowed you the ability get out of bed this morning. Many people don’t get that opportunity. No matter how bad things are in your life, He has still blessed you with so many things. Thank God for all of the beautiful things that surround you, for providing air in your lungs, and for every blessing that has been bestowed upon you. James 1:17.

3. To allow yourself to follow His plan: God has provided each and every one of us with His plan for us. Pray to God to allow yourself to let go of control and follow His plan for you. Though you may be heartbroken that a certain plan did not succeed, it was just His plan to shape and mold you into the person that you are today. Pray to God to break your personal barriers and lead you to the amazing and beautiful life you were destined to live. Jeremiah 29:11.

4. For your friends and family: God has blessed us with some amazing people in our lives. First, thank God for blessing you with your awesome support-group. Second, Pray to God for each individual that you love so much for their health, safety, and happiness. If they struggle, you struggle too so it is important to pray hard for these ones. Proverbs 17:17.

5. For patience: Because let’s face it, we can all be at our breaking point with people or situations at times. Pray to God to bless you with patience with things or people that you may not understand or get frustrated with. There will be times when you get impatient with God’s plan or with a co-worker or loved one, but when you pray to God, He will mold you to be a better person and the frustrations will melt away. Romans 12:12.

6. The ability to forgive others: Because God forgives you, you should forgive others, even when they do not apologize for hurting you. Not only is it the Godly thing to do, but it will also put you at peace. This is a tough thing to do, but pray to God and ask Him to let go of the pain and forgive that person for their wrong doing. It will make you not only a good Christian, but a happier one. Ephesians 4:31-32.

7. To grow in your relationship with Him: We all live hectic lives and have our schedules to tend to but just going to church on Sunday does not mean you have a relationship with Him. Pray to God to allow you to set aside time to pray to Him, talk to Him, and pursue Him. Psalm 27:8.

8. To heal you with things that you struggle with: You may be going through a tough time but God does not intend for you to handle it alone. Pray to God to help you and heal you of your pain. Though the trial may be a part of His plan, it does not mean that you cannot go to Him for healing. Isaiah 43:2.

9. For your community: Pray for those in the community; pray that they will find God and pray that the community will be a safe one to live in for you and for others. Not only pray for the community, but be Christ’s servant in the community as well. 1 Peter 4:10.

10. For your enemies: God asks us to be gracious and to love all of His sons and daughters. Though it is tough, pray for your enemies to find God and to be blessed by Him. Praying for those that have wronged you may or may not change them, but it will always change you. Matthew 5:44.