10 Perks of Sharing a Dorm with Your Best Friend

Why live with a stranger when you can live with one of your best friends?

322
www.hercampus.com

A lot of people in college live in dorm buildings. They’re small, sometimes cramped, oh and you have to share it with a complete stranger, which can be very hit or miss. Sometimes, you get lucky and you get to live with your best friend and let me tell you, it has been some of the most fun that I have ever had. Although I feel like living with a stranger is a rite of passage, living with you best friend comes with its own perks. Here are ten of those perks.

1. You already know them!

You get to skip out of the "getting to know your new roommate" phase, which is pretty nice. You don't have to wonder if they're going to be a slob, too clean, quiet or loud. The wondering if you're going to get along with them is gone because they're your best friend. Of course you get along with them!

2. The small space is not a big deal.

Being cramped up in a tiny dorm room is no match for you and your best friend because you guys are already extremely close. You are used to them being in your business and vice versa. Sharing this small space is no different than when you would sleep over each other's houses and sit in your bedroom all night long.

3. You share everything.

Not that you didn't before. Now it is just easier to borrow a shirt or snag some of their food.

4. You hardly ever argue.

You may bicker with your best friend, but you never go into a full blown argument. You guys keep the peace, and there's always a calm feeling when you walk into your dorm, which is what you want when you are coming in to do homework, relax or sleep.

5. You know when to spend time apart.

You're not constantly with your best friend while you are at school. You guys might have different majors or even schedules, so when you are home, you two spend loads to time together. Luckily, you two know how to communicate well so you know when it is time to separate for a period of time.

6. Your friends are their friends.

You guys may have met different people and become a part of different friend groups, but sooner or later you fall into their friend group and they fall into yours. Now you have two main friend groups, and who doesn't love extra friends?

7. You can always count on them.

Since they're your best friend, you can trust them and always count on them to be there for you, no mater what. Whether it be to let you in the dorm because you forgot your key, or you need them to cry to when you're stressed about school work, you know that they will be there for you.

8. You don't have to worry about wearing real clothes.

You've seen each other at your best and at your worst, so you two are pretty comfortable with each other. With that being said, when you live with your best friend, pants are definitely optional in the dorm room. It's not a big deal if your best friend sees you in your underwear, or in your pajamas. Your dorm is a no-judgment zone.

9. You live with an alarm clock.

Things happen sometimes. You may have forgotten to set an alarm, or you just slept through it. Have no fear, your roommate is there to wake you up so you don't miss your classes!

10. They make you a better you.

As cheesy as it may be, living with your best friend really does make you a better you. They call you out on your crap, they don't let you go outside looking like a mess, they support you and care for you when you are unable to care for yourself. Living with one of your best friends is onestly one of the best times of your life.