10 Of My Favorite Things About My High School Sweetheart Love Story

Young and in love.

378
Cristi Boyd

I am a sucker for love stories. I will read them, watch them, listen to them, and rant about them. It is no surprise that I love telling mine, and why I think my story is the best one. I am one of the lucky few who met their person in high school, and gets to say that they are "high school sweethearts." When I walked into my math class in 9th grade, I would have never guessed that Cameron would mean so much to me. Sure enough about a year later, when we were finally 16 he showed up at my door with bath and body works, flowers, and his friend sitting in the backseat of his car to ask me to be his girlfriend. We went to every school dance, we were nominated for homecoming royalty together (we didn't win, but still cool), we had multiple classes together, and made countless memories. I am forever grateful that I fell in love with that shy guy in my class and that we still get to make memories. Here are 10 reasons that I am so glad I have my high school sweetheart.

1. My Own Personal Gossip Buddy

I am a terrible gossip. I don't talk poorly about anybody, but I am very nosey and I like to know what is going on with people. Every time I see an engagement, wedding, or pregnancy post on Facebook I get to tell somebody who knows all the same people that I do. I also get to hear about people that I don't have contact with. Which means even more people I get to know about. Our conversations don't revolve around other people, but I like dating somebody who knows exactly who I am excited for!

2. Pictures Pictures Pictures

I have so many pictures of the two of us. I have them from even before we knew we liked each other! It is honestly one of my favorite things about having a high school sweetheart. I love looking at all of our old pictures, looking at how different we look now, and looking at all of our old memories and friends. I will never get tired of the countless albums of pictures of the two of us.

3. Personal Jokes

This is pretty self explanatory, but I will explain. We have been with each other for so long that we have more personal jokes then I can even remember. To list a few would be Bingo, animals, caca, oh yeah, and cheesy smiles. I am always laughing when I am with him, and I will never stop.

4. Learning Together

I love learning, and it is no wonder why I am an education major. Cameron and I got to learn statistics and probability together, but also how credit works, and how to buy a car. We have learned many life lessons together and I am so glad that I have someone by my side when I am figuring out how to be an adult. We will never stop learning and I am really excited about everything that we are going to learn.

5. They Are Your Best Friend

I can talk to him about anything, and I can just be myself around him. There is no one I would rather spend my time with than this goofball. When you fall in love with your best friend, you get the best of both worlds. I am extremely glad that I didn't completely friend zone him in middle school when we first met, because he turned out to be the best guy for me.

6. The Traditions

We have had plenty of time to make traditions and we have been doing them for years. Some of ours include taking weird pictures in the car, kissing in front of Santa and Buddy the elf, making cookies, and football bets. When you start traditions young, you are bound to have good memories and conversations.

7. Clichés

Yep. The only guy I have ever kissed is the same guy I kiss whenever I can now, and the only guy I have been in love with is the same guy who I have daily conversations with. We get to tell people we are young lovers, and that we knew it from the beginning. We get to have a song/songs and we get to tell our kids our epic love story. We get to pull out the yearbooks and tell stories about each person, club, and activity. We get to grow old together literally, and we get to say I love you everyday, all day.

8. The Frizzy Hair, And Braces Phase Is Long Gone

I never have to worry about what I look like in front of Cameron because he liked me when I had braces and hair that looked like a child did it. We got to glow up together, and I am forever grateful that I get to wear sweat pants, no makeup, and a messy bun with him everyday. There are no awkward old pictures because he is in most of them, and he likes them. The awkward phase of not knowing how to hold hands or kiss was experienced together so I am completely comfortable in front of him.

9. We Have The Same Friends

We grew up with the same people. I have known some of his best friends longer than he has, because of school we went to, and he introduced me to some of my favorite people ever. We never really had to meet each other friends, and felt like we had to impress someone else. We get to hangout with out "squad" and we both have a good time.

10. Real Life Shipping

If you were to ask my 14 year old self who I thought I would fall in love with, I don't think I would have said Cameron, but apparently everyone else would have. Our friends all saw it coming, and so did our teachers. We became best friends in our math class, and a few years later when my sister had the same teacher and told him that we were dating he said that he could see it coming! What! I didn't even know what flirting was, let alone how to do it so how could everyone see this but me? It doesn't really matter because it all worked out and I am so glad that things were simply meant to be. I personally love seeing other people post pictures of them and their high school sweethearts, and I get upset when a couple who has been together breaks up.

I love Cameron. I love our memories, our jokes, our friends, our traditions, and our future plans. There is no one else out there as great as he is. I am so glad that I got to spend high school with my person, and I am so excited to see where life takes us. I wouldn't trade our love story for anything.