10 Non-Mushy Gushy Valentine's Day Festivities

69

The thought of Valentine’s Day has the tendency to nauseate some people. February 14 does not have to be filled with teddy bears, flowers, and chocolates. Do not write off this holiday simply because you find it awkward or cheesy. There is no need to run and hide from cheesy movies and pink hearts. Turn Valentine’s Day into an enjoyable time with the people you love. I do not just mean a bitter reminder of your current relationship status -- or lack thereof -- through a Netflix session of sappy movies and Ben & Jerry’s. This year, make an effort to transform your outlook on Valentine’s Day, and look forward to a festive day. Try these sweet festivities to make your Valentine's Day a happy one.

1. Bring your roommates breakfast in bed. Heart shaped pancakes, strawberries, and heart shaped bacon would be the perfect, and easy, Valentine's Day breakfast, especially delivered straight to your roommates’ beds! Or, try these heart-shaped Pillsbury cinnamon rolls!

2. Mail your family members homemade Valentines. 

Think of how happy your grandparents would be to receive a card from you, letting them know you miss them on this day of love. If you are phobic of crafty projects, simply send a Hallmark card. Check out these ideas for homemade cards.

3. Spread the love by volunteering your time. 
Share your time and loving energy with those who could use a little extra TLC. Volunteer at the East Alabama food bank, pet the pups at the Lee County Humane Society, or play with children at Joyland Daycare. 

4. Cook a themed meal, such as all red foods, or heart-shaped food items. 
Make spaghetti with heart-shaped noodles, red pasta sauce, and a salad with red peppers and tomatoes. Try a homemade pizza with heart pepperonis, with a dessert of chocolate covered strawberries, or easy heart brownies. Try this healthy heart salad

.

5. Bake for your neighbors. 
Deliver a sweet gesture of baked goods to your neighbors in your dorm or apartment complex. Or try these cute heart bark bites! 

6. Watch your favorite childhood movies, while eating kiddie treats. Feel like a kid again by watching your favorite children’s classics, such as Lion King or Parent Trap, and indulge in Little Debbie Valentine cakes, or Frosted Animal Crackers.

7. Exchange fun cards with your friends. 

Get your friends together and make Valentine's Day mailboxes, and fill them with candies and themed Valentines, with funny messages and pictures. It is elementary school all over again! 

8. Give each of your friends their favorite treat. 

Who said Valentine’s Day treats have to be heart-shaped? Remind your friends how much you care about them by remembering their favorite yummy treats. 

9. Host a cookie swap! 
Valentine’s Day is an excuse to eat as many sweets as you want! Whip up some festive or delicious cookies and invite your friends over to share cookies and recipes. Try these awesome M&M cookies, everyone is sure to love!

10. Play the mystery couple game, like on the movie Date Night

Go out to dinner to a popular date spot. Point out couples and make up stories for them. Maybe they are on a first date, maybe they are actually brother and sister! Make up and entertaining background story for all the couples you spot.