10 New Year's Resolutions You Can Actually Keep

These resolutions can last longer than the first two weeks of the year.

5
Add Space to Your Life

Every year, millions of people make absurdly difficult resolutions that don't last longer than couple of weeks. Here are some that, with effort, you will be able to keep (hopefully) the whole year.

1. Averaging 8 Hours of Sleep

By spending less time idle and efficiently completing your schoolwork, it's definitely possible for you to average 8 hours of sleep per night.

2. Working Out Twice a Week

If you work out once on the weekend and once during the week, you've already got two days! Two is a great number to start with because it's small enough to work into your schedule and isn't too daunting of a task. Plus, if you miss one day in the week, you've always got the next one to make up for it.

3. Improving Your Relationships With Your Parents

You can improve your relationship with your parents by thinking about the tone and word choice that you use when you talk to them or dedicating a few minutes of every day to talk to them about anything at all.

4. Making New Friends

There are hundreds of people in your area that you have yet to befriend. Next time you're in a situation with people you don't know, take advantage of the opportunity to make new friends.

5. Leaving Some Friends in 2016

There may be some friendships that were toxic or just somehow came to a close throughout the course of 2016. Even if it might seem hard, you can let these people go and instead surround yourself with positive people.

6. Going to Church Every Week

As long as you set the alarm to ring every Sunday morning, you can wake up in time to make it to church every week. Just remember to sleep a little earlier on Saturday nights so you don't sleep through your alarm!

7. Volunteering in Your Community

There are so many ways to get involved in your community. There are clubs that allow you to volunteer or help organize a 5k for a cause. Soup kitchens, elderly homes, and animal shelters are always accepting volunteers as well.

8. Improving Your GPA

There are many ways you can improve your GPA. If you can't get a tutor, there are always help sessions and peer tutoring programs that you can attend at school. Additionally, online sites such as Khan Academy offer tutoring that can help you to improve your grades.

9. Actually Reading Books for School

If you spread your reading across a longer timespan, then actually reading the books you're assigned in school suddenly becomes doable and so much less daunting.

10. Finishing Your Homework on Time

For most people, homework can be completed within a few hours every night. As long as you stay concentrated and don't procrastinate, it's a feasible task to complete your homework before it's due.