10 Things You Should Watch On Netflix

10 Netflix Recommendations

Here are some things to watch this summer that you may have never considered — in no particular order.

172
10 Netflix Recommendations

I'm by no means a Netflix expert, but I believe I have some semblance of taste. I often find myself looking for undiscovered gems on Netflix, but they're kind of hard to find for a couple of reasons: 1) People are kinda bad at recommending things. Any list that recommends "Black Mirror" or "Bird Box" as if you've never heard of it before loses all credibility. 2) Movies/shows that are clearly a cut above the other content on Netflix tend to rise to the top of the cultural conversation.

With that said, I will probably put somehting on this list that you feel has broken rule 1. Fine — I get it. I'm not re-recommending the wheel here. Here's a list of ten things I've seen on Netflix before that more people should watch too, in no particular order.

The Netflist

1. "Boyhood" (2014)

This movie took 12 years to make ... that is absolutely astonishing on its own. In my mind this movie lives up to its perfect 100 Metacritic Score. I can't recommend this personal yet epic film enough. Patricia Arquette & Ethan Hawke turn in two of the most grounded parental performances ever captured by cameras. This is potentially a top 10 movie ever made.

2. "Dark" (2017-Present)

Me trying to figure out where the hell Season 2 of this show is going.

If you like gritty-weird-conspiracy-murder shows then is this the show for you. Heads up, however, this show is best consumed in its native tongue, Deutsch. Just read the English subtitles like a sane person, please. Now is the time to catch up on this peach of a show before Season 2 drops at the end of June.

3. "The Spectacular Now" (2013)

This movie has been doing some serious legwork for Shaliene Woodley and Miles Teller in my mind for like the past 3 years. I seriously wish I liked more of their work the way I love "The Spectacular Now." If you haven't guessed by my previous writings, I'm a sap for love stories of all shapes and sizes. This movie is worth a watch for the Kyle Chandler/Brie LArson bit parts alone.

4. "Extras" (2005-2007)

What makes this show special isn't the ludicrous amount of famous people (unfortunately no Ludacris, though) that make cameos as the complete opposite versions of themselves, it is the constant cast. Gervais' comedy is a unique brand that isn't for everyone, but this is great. Give thanks to BBC that this HBO show is on Netflix.

5. "Love, Death & Robots" (2019)

It was *so* hard to choose a GIF for this show because of its nature. Essentially it's an animated anthology series with a wide variety of themes and art styles that is connected by the over-arching theme of losing a left hand -- I mean, technology. P.S. I will be making a ranking of this shows episodes at some point in the future.

6. "The Keepers" (2017)

This is for the True Crime genre fans out there. "The Keepers" also fills the niche of Church-Conspiracy a la "Spotlight", which is a favorite sub-genre of mine. Amazingly told and beautifully filmed, but be warned: this show could leave you a bit disappointed if you needa happy ending.

7. "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" (2008)

This is as tumblr as any article I've ever written has gotten.

Based on the novel with the same name, this indie Rom-Com never quite lives up to its potential, but it's a solid movie with Michael Cera — what more could one need? Oh you definitely needed more, how about a small Andy Samberg cameo? Thought so.

8. "The Innocent Man"  (2018)

Oddly enough, this True Crime Docuseries is based on a nonfiction book written by the incredibly prolific John Grisham. What sets this apart from other pulp in the genre are the chilling reenactments — some of the best I've ever seen. We're talking "The Jinx" level detail.

9. "All the President's Men" (1976)

How important I imagine I look when I write about Super Smash Bros.

Honestly it's ridiculous to have this classic, that is almost universally renowned as a masterpiece, appearing on this list. My reasoning is that there is a new generation of people on Netflix that I fear not only haven't seen it, but will never have any interest in this movie (or other classics, for that matter). This movie is a cultural landmark and as we go through a corrupt administration now, it's nice to see how they dealt with it in the 70s. Psst, journalists are heroes. Tell a friend.

10. "The Autopsy of Jane Doe" (2016)

Me and my girlfriend watched this a few nights ago. At least I think it was a few nights ago, I haven't slept since. Director Andre Øvredal is directing the upcoming "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" so prepare for that by watching some of his earlier work.

Follow Alejandro on Twitter and Instagram @AtSignAlejandro or @WhyNautsComedy for more content.