11 Moving Personal Essays You Have To Read

Supplied by BuzzFeed.

624
Steeven Shaw

On the Internet, we often face some very emotional and moving content which mostly consists of videos or short status updates, but probably HONY photography and the captions that come with them. However, there is an abundance of moving articles that you probably saw on your newsfeed, but never really read. Here is a small list of some of the most moving personal essays published on the internet:

1. "They Pretend To Be Us While Pretending We Don’t Exist," by Jenny Zhang.

In this personal essay, Zhang responds to a white poet’s use of a Chinese pen name with an insight into the publishing industry’s failure to properly acknowledge the work of people of color.

2. "When Children With Autism Grow Up," by Bob Plantenberg.

After having to work with a 21-year-old man with autism who needed full-time support, Plantenberg, who was only 23 years old at the time, learned how unready our society is for the half-million people with autism who are becoming adults.

3. "How To Get Your Green Card In America," by Sarah Mathews.

Most of us are lucky to be legal Americans without any hurdles and tribulations in being so. However, after Mathews moved from Oman to America, her and her family went to heights you never thought of to be legal Americans.

4. "10 Times I Knew I Loved You," by Erin Chack.

Chack shares special moments in her life with her now boyfriend for their 10th anniversary.

5. "A Childhood Spent Inside A Chinese Restaurant," by Susan Cheng.

Cheng shares her experience as one of the very few Asians in her school, and on top of that working at her parents' Chinese restaurant.

6. "I’m An Adjunct Who Also Works In A Grocery Store," by Matt Debenham.

Surviving in the middle class is not easy and Debenham shares exactly that in his personal narrative of bagging groceries despite his job as an adjunct professor.

7. "Self-Portrait of the Artist as Ungrateful Black Writer," by Saeed Jones.

Couldn't phrase this better: "No, Saeed Jones is not happy to 'just be here.' Racism doesn’t vanish the moment you set foot into the ivory towers and glittering soirees of the literati." .

8. "I Can’t Live Without Fear, But I Can Learn to Be OK with It," by Arianna Rebolini.

Rebolini shares her experience of coming to terms with her OCD and her inescapable fear of losing the ones she loves because of death.

9. "Yes, I’m His Daughter" by Lauren Paul.

America isn't as open-minded as it seems to be. In this personal essay, Paul shares the complications of being young and brown while his father is old and white.

10. "What I Learned From My Neuroatypical Partner ,"by Meredith Talusan.

In this personal essay, Talusan shares how her partner's severe A.D.D. and autism spectrum is a big part of why their relationship works.

11. "The Bad Blood: My Life With Sickle Cell Anaemia," by Sara Bivigou.

In an emotional personal essay, Bivigou shares the complicated reality of living with sickle cell, and how despite all her efforts of living a normal life, her sickness always creates hurdles.