10 Movies You Must See Before Turning 22

Get ready to veg out on the couch with these must-sees

420

1. The Breakfast Club

Everyone who’s anyone has seen this 80’s masterpiece. This classic coming of age flick focuses on a motley crew gathered for detention on a Saturday morning. By the end, the Brain, Athlete, Princess, Basket Case, and Criminal have bared their souls and vulnerabilities to one another. In college, we seem to always find ourselves stuck in classes with others we have absolutely nothing in common with. However, at the tail-end of the semester, we somehow always find a niche with a few unlikely faces.

2. Dead Poet’s Society

An ode to Robin Williams for his work as English teacher John Keating in this film. His character teaches us how to look beyond the traditional and literal meaning of something, and instead pursue our own passions. Carpe f***ing diem.

3. The Outsiders

Since you probably haven’t read the book, this movie is the next best thing. Besides some of the solid cast choices- Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon, Rob Lowe- the underlying messages of loyalty, growing up, and facing reality are resented throughout the film. The group of Greasers must navigate through life’s current together while Ponyboy (the youngest) runs away, and ultimately gains self- awareness and understanding. Sometimes we need to take time for ourselves away from the daily demands and reflect on the person we hope to become. Stay golden my friends.

4. 500 Days of Summer

Gotta have a rom-com on the list. This one comes without the frills or too many tears. Although it follows a young, sexy couple through their Fairy Tale relationship, the two lovers split at the end. While everything seemed peachy keen and wonderful, the two weren’t meant for one another. The takeaway from this one points to the importance of knowing who and what is right for you, especially if that means learning to love yourself first.

5. Selma

The twenty-something generation suffers from a lack of knowledge pertaining to the Civil Rights Movement. Before my sophomore year of college, I knew maybe two or three bits of vague information about this movement. If anything, this film captures the strife, injustice, and leadership that permeated through the 1960’s. I definitely urge you to watch this rendition of one of the most defining moments in American history.

6. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Warning: tear-jerker alert. Two boys, one the son of a commander at a concentration camp and a Jewish prisoner on the other side of the fence, form a close bond, blind to the forbidden nature of their friendship. The innocent perspective during World War II invites you to witness another dimension of the atrocity the Jews endured in the camps. Children’s eyes will always offer an honest insight into situations and experiences catalyzed by adults.

7. Miracle

Probably one of the greatest sports stories of all time, the 1980 Men’s Olympic Hockey Team’s securing of the gold medal comes to life on the big screen in Miracle. Coach Herb Brooks leads a team of rival college players towards cohesion and victory with his belief in each player. If you’re team USA, you gotta watch this.

8. We're the Millers

This movie will become a comedy-favorite in just a few years. The hilarious cast, ridiculous plot line and balance of sentimental and humorous scenes make this a chart-topper in the humor department. If you watch this, no ragrets.

9. Pretty Woman

There’s nothing better than a mature Cinderella story, especially if it involves Julia Roberts.

10. She's the Man

Alright, so this one doesn’t exactly hold the same prestige as the others, but it stands as one of the most quotable movies ever made. Amanda Bynes (in her glory days) disguises herself as her twin brother in order to pursue her soccer career. You can imagine the awkwardness that follows. And may I mention that her roommate is Channing Tatum? Yeah. Besides being somewhat of a chick flick, it praises the beautiful game of soccer and raises a healthy competition between men and women players. Goooooaaaaaalllllllllllll.