10 Movies Every Girl That Grew Up In The 90's And Early 2000's Watched

Lets flashback to the awkward tween years.

254
13 Going On 30

There's nothing better than getting into sweatpants, and curling up on the couch with popcorn and a blanket to watch a movie. Comedies, thrillers, romance, horror, sci-fi, the list goes on and on. How do you choose what movie to watch? How about a major throwback.

Let's flashback to the late 1990's/early 2000's. I know, for many of us we don't want to flashback to the awkward middle school phase. Braces, weird hair cuts, unfortunate fashion choices. But there is one thing that will always be amazing from that era. The movies. Here's a list of the movies that every 90's/early 2000's girl has seen (and loved)!

1. The Cheetah Girls

The Cheetah Girls is a movie about 4 talented teen girls (Raven Symone, Adrienne Bailon, Sabrina Bryan, and Kiely Williams) who embark on crazy adventures full of music, love, and style, that test their friendship. In the end, girl power wins because as the movie says, "Cheetah Girls, Cheetah sisters".

2. What A Girl Wants

Pre-Amanda Bynes freak out was one of her finer movies, What A Girl Wants, which is the story of a girl (Bynes) who grows up (in NYC) without a father and longs for a relationship with him. She eventually discovers that her father is Lord Dashwood of London, and flies there to meet him. She has to deal with the craziness of learning to be royalty, a crazy soon-to-be step mother, and a bratty step sister while trying to make up the lost time with her father.

3. Camp Rock

Demi Levato starred in this smash hit about a summer camp for musicians. She spends the summer helping her mother work in the kitchen, while take the music classes to overcome her fear of singing in public. Along the way she falls in love with a boy (Joe Jonas) who helps her find her voice.

4. 13 Going On 30

Every teen girl, at some point, wishes they were older, or thinner, or prettier, or more popular. This movie encompasses exactly why you should embrace who you really are and stop comparing yourself to others.

Christa B. Allen plays 13 year old Jenna Rink who longs to be "Thirty, Flirty and Thriving" thanks to the models of Poise magazine. On the night of her 13th birthday party, Jenna magically turns 30 (played by Jennifer Garner) and wakes up in her apartment, not remembering the last 17 years of her life. She realizes that her age was never the problem, and she learns to be happy with who she is.

5. Grease

This movie was iconic in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and still to this day. There's nothing quite like this movie, with the all star cast including John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, who play high school lovers that come from "different sides of the tracks". Love, fantastic musical numbers, and killer fashion, are just some of the few things in store when you watch this movie. (But seriously, if you've never seen this movie you must be living under a rock).

6. High School Musical

All three movies in the trilogy are icons to the early 2000's. Similar to Grease, the movie is about two high schoolers who fall in love, but the 'status quo' keeps them apart. Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens) who's a brainiac, and Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) the captain of the basketball team, defy norms when they audition for the musical, and beat out Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale) and Ryan Evans (Lucas Gabriel) for the lead roles.

7. Mean Girls

Before Lindsay Lohan went off the rampage, she starred in some pretty popular movies, including Mean Girls. Lohan plays a girl who recently moved to town from Africa and is adopted into the plastic click of the school. She soon dominates the group until she destroys everything by falling for another group member (Regina George's) ex-boyfriend.

8. The Titanic

This is one of the only movies on the list that is not about high school, but it sure as heck is about love. Rose (Kate Winslet) who comes from a wealthy family, falls for the poor boy Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) when they're both aboard the 'unsinkable' cruise ship, the Titanic. Things take a turn for the worst when the ship hits an iceberg causing it to, you guessed it, sink. The never ending drama in this movie causes it to be a roller coaster of emotions.

9. She's the Man

Yes, two Amanda Bynes movies in one list! This one, however is entirely different from the above. This movie, based on the Shakespeare play, Twelfth Night, tells the story of Viola (Bynes) who goes against societal standards when she pretends to be her brother Sebastian in order to play soccer after the girls team was cut from her high school.

Of course, she falls for the hot roommate, Duke (Channing Tatum) while still pretending to be her brother, and she accidentally causes Duke's love interest, Olivia (Laura Ramsey) to fall in love with her (Viola/Sebastian). This giant love triangle is all exposed when Sebastian (real Sebastian) shows up to take his place in school.

10. The Lizzie McGuire Movie

Hilary Duff plays Lizzie McGuire in this movie based on the hit series Lizzie McGuire. Lizzie takes a trip to Rome with her high school class, when she runs into Paolo Valisari who is a famous singer in Italy. Paolo tells Lizzie that she looks identical to his vocal partner who just quit right before a big concert. Lizzie agrees to stand in and lip synch the concert, but when things go wrong Lizzie is left to actually sing in front of a crowd of thousands of fans.

This list of movies is what helped me through those awkward tween years. Any movies on here you've never seen? Then put it on during your next stay at home movie night!