10 C.S. Lewis Quotes For Those Who Really Need Them

In hopes that at least one of these will speak intensely to your life.

304
Daniel Saunders

I'm sure I don't need to give much of an explanation when I say that C.S. Lewis is wonderful. He's very well regarded by Christians (and humans in general) everywhere. He's brilliant and creative, and God definitely gave him the ability to speak words that touch every corner of your soul. You can only go so far in life before hearing yet another quote of his being recited.

That being said, it felt necessary to share some of Lewis' finest quotes with you this week. I felt God calling me to share my 10 favorite short C.S. Lewis quotes in hopes that it may reach someone who really needs to hear those words, for one reason or another. Now, I don't pretend to be an expert on C.S. Lewis by any means because I certainly haven't read as much of his work as a lot of fine people I know have. I also know that, as I grow in knowledge and wisdom, maybe this list will change and there will be other quotes of his that I like much more. However, I know that I very much respect the words of his which I have read.

1.

Have you ever begun to read a book and felt as though you were making friends? Exactly. No matter the genre, books were made to be a communicative experience.

2.

All things good, true and beautiful are derived from one singular source. We are only able to encounter those things because of the God who gave them to us.

3.

Yes. Friendship is built off truth found in community. (Also, read the book called, "To Know as We are Known" by Parker Palmer. He explains so much more of this.)

4.

This comes from Lewis' infamous series "The Chronicles of Narnia" and is alluding to the character named Aslan who is almost unarguably paralleled to the character of God in our lives. This quote — though a bit confusing and quite grand — is important all the same.

5.

Absolutely. God is not someone you merely see on the side of the road as you go on the journey of 'finding yourself'. He is the light that we seek who helps us see all the good and beautiful things around us that He has made.

6.

Holla.

7.

This is so important to remember in times of loss of any kind. No matter what we leave or are left by, there are better things in store for us.

8.

There are so many things I could say about why this is true, but I'm really hoping I don't have to explain them to you. Adulthood means, in part, thinking meaningfully about every truth that exists, whether it comes from a philosophical text or from a fictional novel. Someday we'll be able to think more meaningfully about the truths we were taught in our childhood.

9.

I could never fully express to you how much I relate to this quote and how it speaks to me. It is deeply connected to my soul. The longing for the source of all beauty is an intense and painfully sweet longing to have. Beauty is so important. One day, we shall know its source. Christ, come quickly.

10.

I actually took this picture myself when reading "The Magician's Nephew" last Christmas. When I read this quote, I immediately welled up with tears and felt a wave of peace flow over me. Aslan says these words to all the creatures of Narnia after their creation. He sings the whole world of Narnia into being, gives each creature their individual form and role in the world and gathers them in a circle around himself. And, as they stand around him in their newly born state, he says this to them:

"Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. be divine waters."

What wonderful words God has given this man to say.