10 Healthy Snacks For Your Dorm Room

10 Healthy Snacks For Your Dorm Room

So you don't gain the freshman 15.

18
10 Healthy Snacks For Your Dorm Room
Google

1. While it would be more ideal to keep fresh fruit around, dried fruit is a great option to keep in your dorm room. It lasts much longer than fresh fruit, but still adds a nutritional punch. However, you need to be careful as dried fruit is much more calorically dense than fresh fruit.

2. One of my favorite snacks before I went vegan was a Quest Protein Bar. They have a lot of good flavors and are probably the best tasting protein bar out there. The protein will keep you full along with the usual 15+ grams of fiber per bar.

3. If you're looking to avoid dairy, Clif and Lara Bars are vegan and taste just as delicious.

4. I know this one may sound a little strange, but oatmeal is a fantastic option to keep around. It's super cheap and has so many options for what to do with it. It's great for heart health and has a lot of fiber, which will keep you fuller longer. Plus, it won't go bad!

5. If you're in more of a crunchy snacking mood, something like sweet potato chips or rice cakes would be a great thing to keep on hand. While they aren't really a health food, they are both better options than a classic bag of potato chips.

6. Any type of nut would be a good source of healthy fat, which will help with brain function. Some personal favorites are almonds, cashews and pistachios. Be careful, though. The calories in nuts can add up pretty quickly!

7. If you have access to a mini-fridge, veggies and hummus are a great choice! It's never bad to eat some extra veggies and hummus will add in a little extra protein to keep you full. The options here really are limitless.

8. When you're looking for a little "splurge" some whole grain tortilla chips with salsa might just be the fix you need! If you want it to seem a tad more authentic, pop the chips in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm 'em up!

9. Popcorn can be a good option, if you're careful. Just make sure you're not getting the movie theatre butter, and you'll be alright.

10. Whether it be mixed in oatmeal, with some fresh fruit, on some crackers, or just with a spoon, nut butters are a phenomenal option for dorm rooms. You can mix it up between peanut, almond, cashew and many more. But again, be careful because those calories add up quickly!