10 Grilled Cheese Recipes To Try During Quarantine

Alternatives to Try While You Have the Time

51

If your house is anything like mine, grilled cheese is a go-to food staple. It's easy to make, can be paired with any soup you want, and is something that even most picky eaters will choose. This is great for quarantine but can definitely start to get boring when it's the same thing everyday. To combat this, I started looking for alternative grilled cheese recipes to try while at home. The following are a list of ones that I've already tried and plan to try within the next few days.

Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese

live.staticflickr.com

This recipe combines two of the best comfort foods together into one sandwich, Grilled Cheese and Garlic Bread! This was the first recipe that I tried since it's so simple. The recipe that I followed comes from a food blog titled, "Now Cook This!". The recipe calls for 4 tablespoons softened butter, a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, a 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley, 4 slices of white bread, and 4, 1 ounce, slices of mozzarella cheese. First, you mix together the butter, garlic powder and parsley to create the garlic butter. Next, utilizing the garlic butter, you create your grilled cheese sandwiches in the same way that you always do. It is recommended that you use a medium-low heat so that all of the cheese melts evenly. You can serve these with either the traditional tomato soup, or like myself, you can serve it with marinara sauce.

I loved this recipe and will definitely be making it again when i'm craving comfort food.

Fried Egg Grilled Cheese

p1.pxfuel.com

This next recipe comes to you from the "Great Grub, Delicious Treats" food blog. This recipe is a great breakfast sandwich! My son is an incredibly picky eater when it comes to breakfast foods and will only eat "the runny eggs" which is his way of saying over-easy. In order to convince him to try more new foods, I made this fried egg grilled cheese sandwich. What you'll need for this sandwich is, 4 eggs, 4 thick, Texas style, slices of bread, 4 slices of cheese of your choice (I used Colby-jack), butter, salt, and pepper. The first step in this case is to fry the eggs the way that you like them and the add salt + pepper to taste. Then, using a different frying pan, add buttered bread (butter down), a slice of cheese, two eggs, another slice of cheese, and then top with the other piece of bread (butter up). Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the cheese is melted and both sides of the bread are golden brown in color.

This recipe was a winner with my picky eater because he was able to "dunk" the grilled cheese in the yolk that spilled out from the sandwich when cut in two!

Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese

lilluna.com

This recipe is another great one for kids! Both of my littles loved these. For this recipe there are two separate sets of ingredients. For the garlic butter you will need; 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried parsley, 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. To make the garlic butter, first microwave the butter until melted. Then, add in parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. The other ingredients that you will need are; 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, 4 slices of bread (the recipe specifically calls for Sara Lee Artesano Bread but I used my normal everyday bread), 4 slices of mozzarella cheese, and 18 slices of pepperoni. To make the sandwich, first add the 1 teaspoon of butter to a medium sized skillet over medium-low heat and let melt. Then place 2 pieces of bread side by side. Add a slice of mozzarella, 9 slices of pepperoni and another slice of mozzarella on each piece of bread. Then top with the other bread slices. Cook until the cheese is melty. Then, using a pastry brush, brush garlic butter on tops of both sides of the grilled cheese. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side. You can serve with marinara or eat plain.

Apple and Gouda Grilled Cheese

www.mysuburbankitchen.com

This recipe comes from the "Domestic Superhero" food blog. I personally wanted to try this recipe as I was SUPER skeptical about apples and cheese going together in a sandwich that would actually be edible. Much to my surprise this was actually a super delicious sandwich. For this recipe you'll need; 4 slices of bread (Like sourdough), 1 peeled and thinly sliced granny smith apple, 6 slices of smoked or regular Gouda cheese (I used regular), and butter. First, heat your skillet over medium heat. Place bread butter side down in skillet topped with 1.5 slices of cheese, apple slices, 1.5 slices of cheese and then the top piece of bread. When all sandwiches have been created, put a sandwich press or heavy bottomed skillet on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Cook until browned and then flip carefully to cook the other side until also browned.

Spaghetti Grilled Cheese

thekittchen.com

This recipe comes from the food blog, "The Kittchen". While this recipe calls for you to make the spaghetti middle of the sandwich before putting the sandwich together, I found that it also works with spaghetti leftovers. Just make sure to heat up the leftovers you intend to use so that they aren't cold before using them in the sandwich. To make the sandwich following the recipe exactly, you will need; 2 slices of soft Italian bread, 1 tablespoon of room temperature butter, a 1/2 teaspoon of basil, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon of finely grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 a cup of bolognese sauce (or a spaghetti sauce of your choice), and 1 cup of angel hair pasta. The first step is to make the garlic butter that will be spread on the bread. To do this, mix the garlic, basil and butter together. Spread the butter mixture on each slice of Italian bread. Sprinkle a 1/2 teaspoon of parmesan cheese on the buttered side of each slice of bread, press it lightly into the butter.

The next steps are to make the spaghetti insides. of the sandwich. Bring a pot of saltwater to a boil, add angel hair and cook until al dente, then drain. Stir the cooked angel hair into the bolognese/spaghetti sauce. Next comes assembling the sandwich. Lay a piece of the buttered bread down, butter side facing down. Top with three slices of fresh mozzarella, making sure to cover the bread. Spread the sauce covered angel hair over the mozzarella and top with another layer of mozzarella. Add the second slice of bread, butter side facing up. Then heat a skillet over a medium-low heat. Add the sandwich and cover the skillet. After 5-6 to minutes the bottom of the sandwich should be golden brown, which is when you flip it. Cover the pan again and cook until both sides are golden brown. Serve immediately.

Ham and Cheese Grilled Cheese

live.staticflickr.com

This is about as basic as you can go with grilled cheese without just making a grilled cheese. Bread, cheese, ham, cheese, bread, and presto! I put it on this list because a lot of the simpler recipes get overlooked. If you want to fancy it up a bit, there are a few recipes that add a pickle into the mix. My son loves the plain ham and cheese version, while my daughter loves it with the pickle in the middle.

Blueberry Brie Grilled Cheese

www.simplystacie.net

This recipe comes from the food blog, "Simply Stacie". At first I was against the idea of berries and cheese together but this grilled cheese is absolutely delicious. The recipe calls for; 3 teaspoons of softened butter, 2 slices of honey wheat bread, 1/8 cup sliced Brie, and 3 teaspoons of blueberry pie filling (blueberry jam is also supposed to work). This sandwich is made pretty much the same way as the basic grilled cheese. Butter on one side of each slice of bread, add the brie and blueberries to the middle, and grill each side until the sandwich is done. Eat it while it's still hot!

Bacon Grilled Cheese

www.closetcooking.com

Who doesn't love bacon? Adding bacon to grilled cheese is just genius! The recipe that I followed came from "Spend With Pennies". This sandwich calls for; 4 slices of sourdough bread, 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, 6 slices of bacon, 2 ounces of cheddar cheese, and 2 ounces of pepper jack cheese. The first step is to fry up your bacon to your desired crispiness level. Next, spread mayo on the outside of each slice of bread. Layer the cheese and bacon on the bread, then top with the other bread slices. Grill until golden brown. I haven't personally tried this recipe but it's rated highly and those who have tried it have said that the combination works really well!

Turkey Cranberry Brie Grilled Cheese

farm9.staticflickr.com

This recipe is one of my go to's, especially following Thanksgiving. However, it can be used any time of the year when you have extra turkey. The recipe I use comes from "Will Cook for Smiles". The sandwich calls for; 2 slices of seedless Rye bread, 3 or 4 slices of roasted turkey breast, 3 ounces of rind off, thinly sliced brie cheese, and 2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce. To make the sandwich, first, preheat a medium saute pan over medium heat and lightly grease it. Then place the bread in the pan and separate brie slices among the two slices to start melting. Once it has started melting, layer turkey breast on one slice of the bread and then put the cranberry sauce on top of the turkey. Use the other slice to top it off and press slightly to make sure the sandwich is together. When the bread is golden brown, it's ready to eat!

Honey Banana Grilled Cheese

www.simplystacie.net

This recipe also comes from "Simply Stacie" and I have not had a chance to try it yet. For this recipe you will need; 3 teaspoons of softened butter, 2 slices of bread, 1/2 of a peeled banana sliced, 3 teaspoons mascarpone cheese, and 1 teaspoon of honey. This is made similarly to regular grilled cheese with 1 side of each slice being buttered. The cheese, banana and honey go in the middle and are topped off with the second slice. Grill until golden brown and serve hot!

Hopefully, you'll enjoy these grilled cheese recipes as much as I have and if you try one I haven't, let me know how it is!