10 Things Everyone From Lake County, CA Are Proud Of

7. We're the Secret Napa

981
Lake County CA Homes

1. Nature

The Berkeley campus has some nice trees, the green glade, but nothing can beat the nature we have in Lake County. Mostly because it has a population of fewer than 5,000 people, thus there isn't much there. We used to have a bumping bowling alley that pretty much the entirety of the school districts in the County would attend during the famous Rock n' Bowl Fridays.

2. The Soil

With marijuana finally legalized in this lovely state of ours, I feel comfortable saying, we have THE BEST soil for growing marijuana. Lake County is a mini Humboldt in that a ton of marijuana is produced here due to our fertile soil.

3. The "Community"

If you live here you know everyone, their grandmothers, and their cousins. It can be nice having a tight-knit community, but it can also be awkward knowing the dirty deepest secrets of your teacher's and public figure's lives. My friends and I would often go out to the bar of Lakeport, our local Safeway, where you will meet everyone and anyone.

4. The Lake

We are home to the largest natural freshwater lake in California, Clear Lake. In the summer, boats are rented out, people jet ski and fish. In the past couple of years, we've had a bit of an algae issue which has been turning the water green and murky. This doesn't stop us from jumping in but many have begun to migrate to Blue Lakes for summer fun.

5. We're Clean

I can't say the same about the people here, but we were ranked #1 in Times for being the Cleanest City in the U.S. I recently had a friend from Chicago visit and she described the air as, "like apples, crisp and sweet." I'm not sure how accurate this is because she's not an air aroma expert but yes, we have some crisp clean air.

6. Pears

We produce so many pears. So many. Our most recent harvest, Scully Packing Co. produced 35,000 tons. The Press Democrat even wrote about how great our pear production was, which you can read here. We even have an annual pear festival where they have amazing pear centered foods and drinks, and even a pear mascot walking around.

7. We're the Secret Napa

With a ton of wineries and grape vines all over the county, we produce around 430,620 tons of wine grapes annually. So if you're looking to be a super hip hipster, hit up the Lake County wineries!

8. Guy Fieri

Yep, that's right. We have Guy mother trucking Fieri. He moved to Lake County back in 2015 and it was probably the most exciting thing to have happened to us.

9. People are Weird

Small towns always seem to produce a unique people. And by unique, I mean slightly off or considered weird in the real world outside of our bubble. We've had kids who ride their horses to school, my Pre-Calculus teacher was obsessed with dead/killing babies (he also claims he founded UC Berkeley), and some boys kidnapped the cats that hung out behind Taco Bell and dumped them on an island.

10. The Diverse Weather

We have some hot summers and cold winters. So if you're one of those 'I need to have seasons' people I suggest Lake County. We recently had a huge flood which essentially turned our town into an actual lake as well as the famous Valley Fire last summer. Oh, and did I mention we have a dormant volcano called Mount Konocti? As a result, you can find obsidians and lake county diamonds.