10 Cool Things That Happened November 8, 2016

More happened in the world than just the presidential election.

326
Pixbam

We all know what went down on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. By now we’ve all experienced the onslaught of divisive social media posts. We’ve heard the yelling, watched the riots, given impassioned speeches, cried, yelled… there’s so much yelling. There’s so much anger.

Amid the overwhelming anger and deafening chaos, I decided to look for some good things – or at least cool things – that happened last Tuesday. Some are directly related to the election; some are not.

This is not meant to be a political article. I take no stance on any of the political affiliations or policies of any of the people or situations I discuss. This article is merely meant to give hope to some of the people who feel despair as well as to (hopefully) bring a sense of unity to a country that is divided by providing a bit of common ground that we can all celebrate.

So here are some of the nice things that happened on November 8, 2016:

1. Many millennials voted for the first time.

As messy and painful as this election was, thousands of millennials showed up to vote on Nov. 8, 2016 for the first time (including me). Sure, not everyone who was eligible to vote did, but let's not forget the many young adults who took this important step in advancing their participation in our country!

2. Kamala Harris was elected to Senate.

Kamala Harris has my respect, and I'm not talking anything about her political beliefs. Regardless of where you stand politically, I think it's exciting that this woman made history last week by being the second African-American and the first Indian-American woman to be elected to Senate.

3. Catherine Cortez Masto was elected to Senate.

Catherine Cortez Masto just became the first Latina to be elected to U.S. Senate. Same as with Kamala Harris above, I'm not endorsing or denouncing this woman's political beliefs; I'm just saying that this is a really cool step for our country.

4. Ilhan Omar was elected as a Minnesota legislator.

She's Somalian. She's Muslim. She's a refugee. She's American. Her story is amazing! Her election just reminds me how beautiful it is for America to be the "great melting pot" where people from everywhere in the world can come to find not only refuge but a place to thrive.

5. Paris dedicated a new reception center for immigrants.

Sure, this didn't happen in the U.S., but it's still worth talking about because it's a cool thing that happened on November 8, 2016. Paris is building a new center can hold approximately 400 migrants. This will help give refugees and immigrants a safe place to stay temporarily and will help reduce the homeless refugee population in France.

6. Authorities identify and name suspect from terrorism in Paris and Brussels.

Once again, not in the U.S., but something that I'm guessing quite a few of us care about. Police suspect a Belgian man named Oussama Atar to have organized the tragic ISIS terrorist attacks that took place in both Paris and Brussels. I know it's a sad topic, but I think there's hope in knowing there are people working hard to keep innocent lives safe.

7. African leaders banded together to give aid to Libya.

The Libyan Crisis is a very real, tragic and horrible situation. And it's lasted for five painful years. On Tuesday, November 8, 2016, Seven African leaders met in Ethiopia to figure out how to best help Libya be reconciled without increasing the violence in the country.

8. Many people found community and solidarity they didn’t know existed.

Back to the U.S., I know this election has been hugely divisive... but can we take a moment to appreciate the beautiful ways people have shown love to each other too? Communities have bonded together to support each other. Sure, maybe you think solidarity is overrated, but I think it's a beautiful thing when people remind each other that they care for each other.

9. The sun came up.

Maybe you think this is a silly thing to bring up... but take a moment to think about the beautiful sunshine (or clouds or rain, depending on where you live). Anyways, regardless of where you're from, the sun came up last Tuesday. The sun shed it's beautiful rays on a controversial day without getting caught up in politics. I think that's spectacular.

10. The world kept turning.

To be honest, I find this so encouraging every day. No matter what happened on Tuesday, November 8, 2016, whether you're happy or sad, whether you're excited or angry, the world keeps turning at a constant pace.

Time moves forwards, bringing new day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, president after president. So take a moment to appreciate the beautiful, cool things that happened on November 8, 2016.