8 Frequent Hassles For The Left Handed Population

Righties just don't understand

41

The world wasn't built for us and we're just trying to survive. There comes a time when a left handed individual would rather be right handed -- but then we come back to reality and recognize that we're the unique 10 percent. Although the daily challenges can be annoying to deal with, we always prevail.

1. Eating at restaurants.

Anytime I go eat out, I have to strategically place myself at the table if there's more than two of us. My left elbow is finally free to be as far off the table ledge as it wants to. I also don't have to eat with a pained expression trying to be considerate and not bump into the person on my left. If it is an unfortunate situation where I can't choose my seat, I'm ready to say, "Sorry," a thousand times during the meal when need be.

2. Writing smudges.

This is one of the most bothersome things to go through on a daily basis. Pencils, pens, markers, you name it, they all are hell. There's been so many times I've tried erasing smears on papers, but I always end up just starting over. And forget about the smudged side of your hand, it's an endless cycle you might as well just give up on. Can you remember a time you went an entire day without an ink stain on your hand? Nope. Didn't think so.

3. Binders.

What are wrong with these monsters?! I've tried using spiral notebooks instead but those really aren't much better. The horrendous clips jabbing and protruding into the side of my hand is the epitome of helplessness. You end up trying to rush through the dreadful right side of the page in order to sigh with relief when you flip the notebook over to a pleasant left side. I find myself yelling more at my binder than I do to the driver that doesn't know how to use their blinkers.

4. "Since when are you left handed?"

This always cracks me up. You would think right handed people would stop being shocked at the sight of a left handed person, but it's still a surprise to most. I'll be hanging out with friends filling out a receipt and one will say, "You're left handed?! I had no idea!" Yes, I'm left handed -- why on Earth would I be using this hand if I couldn't write legibly with it? Or there's times when it'll be a nostalgic moment for them and they'll start going on and on about how their uncle and grandma are their only left handed relatives. Their observance is a little rusty.

5. Desks.

These have got to be one of the leading reasons that lefties are prone to more anxiety. Think about walking into a classroom and every single time mentally face-palming yourself because the four scarce left handed desks are taken. Trudging to an open desk, you remind yourself to get to class earlier next time because your neck will become strained after sitting at an awkward diagonal angle for the next hour and a half. Sometimes, if I zone out, I'll observe the room and notice that righties are using our rare left handed desks. Seriously? Out of 125 seats you could've chosen, you chose mine?

6. Mug handles.

This is more insignificant than some of the others, but nonetheless, still irritating! Righties normally don't pick up on this but it's a sad life for us lefties that never get to show off our mugs' sayings. I've forced myself on many occasions to drink with my right hand in order to brag about my awesome mug.

7. Mirroring people.

With most activities, the demonstration is for right handed people, which means the lefties are sort of tossed to the side. The easiest way to learn is by mirroring them to figure out how to do it with our dominant side, it can look funky, but it has to be done. Of course, it'd be nice if we didn't have to use as much brain power and effort trying to figure it out on our own, but that's just another issue we're dealt with.

8. Meeting another lefty.

It can be the best part of your day discovering there's another member of our secret society. The ability to relate instantaneously is refreshing! We understand the pains of daily life. We are united.