10 Easy Ways To Be More Eco-Friendly

10 Easy Ways To Be More Eco-Friendly

Reducing your carbon footprint one step at a time.

7
10 Easy Ways To Be More Eco-Friendly
Erin Conner

We’ve all heard it before, “Reduce, reuse, recycle.” With global temperatures rising and the risk of losing snow within the next two decades, I think we can all take some time to learn about the little ways to reduce our carbon footprints and create a more sustainable, eco-friendly Earth. What most people do not realize, is that little changes like these can have a huge impact if enough people follow through with them! Bonus – most of these tips can also help save some money.

1.Reusable products

This is probably one of the best things you can do to reduce your carbon footprint! While at first buying reusable products may be expensive, in the long run, the cost of the product will offset the cost of buying new products all the time. Reusable products you can buy include: sandwich bags, grocery bags, cups (to replace tampons, I promise it is sanitary), paper towels, diapers, napkins, lunch boxes, drinking cups, the list goes on! As long as they are properly taken care of, reusable products often last a long time and will help save the planet, and money, in the long run.

2. Thrifting

We’ve all heard “Thriftshop” by Macklemore, but it really is a great way to be more sustainable! Think of how clothes are made, for example, cotton. First, the cotton plant has to be picked, which will require some sort of fuel and machinery. Then the cotton is spun into string. It is then made into fabric. Finally, the fabric is made into a piece of clothing. That’s a lot of machinery, fuel, and transportation. Not to mention then it has to be shipped to a store – long story short, clothes are expensive in terms of a carbon footprint. However, reusing clothes and thrifting them is a nice way to acquire some new style while also be conscious of the planet.

3. Drive less, walk more

I am sure everyone has heard of this. “Just bike to work!” Well, not everyone lives within biking or walking distance of their work. However, why not walk to the grocery store? The park? The gym? If you need to go someplace nearby, try walking it! If you really are against walking, ask a friend who also needs some groceries to come along – then two people can visit the grocery store with only one trip’s worth of gas.

4. Buy local (when possible)

Okay, I live in Ohio, meaning that not all fruits are available to me year-round. So, it is not always possible to buy local. However, buying local means there is less transportation involved in bringing the food to you, meaning a lower carbon footprint. Extra good – it also means supporting your local farmers and growers!

5. Unplug

This one is super easy and a lot of people don’t think of it. Aren’t using something? Unplug it! When an appliance is plugged in, it uses energy. Yes even when it is not being used, this is called "ghost energy". So when you’re done charging your phone or using the toaster, just unplug it. It will lower the energy bill, and save some energy for the planet.

6. Water Bottle

So, this one could really go under #1, but it’s so important that I felt it needed its own number. Buy a reusable water bottle and stop buying bottled water. While you can recycle the plastic (which is great!) just ditching the plastic bottle all together is one of the easiest things you can do. Plastic not only contains some chemicals that can be very harmful when mishandled (especially when burned) but it is costly in terms of production, and thus not too great for the environment. I have about three or four water bottles that I rotate between, and refill my bottle with plain tap water. If you are dead set on having filtered water, buy a Brita and refill your water bottle that way. The planet will thank you.

7. Use until you can’t anymore

A lot of people will use something until it gets one little rip or tear and then throw it away. While your item may be damaged, I advocate for using it until it cannot be used anymore. Or at least donate the item. Making minor repairs to something will help you receive more bang for your buck, and will reduce the amount of energy needed to make a new product.

8. Paperless

I’m sure most of you have heard of going paperless – such as receiving email receipts and e-books. All are great options! One of the coolest things I have found to reduce my paper energy and waste is that you can rent e-books from the library with the Kindle App. So now, I have a book on my phone all the time and I’m helping to reduce paper needed to print new copies of the book.

9. Use less plastic

Plastic is harmful to the environment – it often becomes litter and costs a lot in terms of energy required to produce it. If you can reduce your plastic use, do it! Reuse plastic bags, recycle, use reusable items, or switch to glass items. For example, in the grocery store, instead of having a plastic bag for every raw fruit or vegetable, bag a few of them together. Just be sure to let the clerk know when checking out.

10. Compost

Composting can be difficult depending on where you live. In a house? Compost away! Apartment, eh, might be a little harder. I keep a bucket in my backyard to throw scraps in, and my aunt uses the scraps in her garden as fertilizer once they break down. So, grab a bucket, and start keeping your food scraps there. Also, look for containers that may be compostable to help the process along!