10 Important Tips For Surviving Your First Music Festival

Much-needed tips when planning and packing for your first fest!
249

This past weekend I attended my first ever outdoor summer music festival. I learned pretty quick all the 'shoulda coulda woulda's of the trip. Here are 10 dos and don'ts for attending your first summer music festival!

1. Dress Cool

This means if it's 90 degrees like it was at Bunbury.. wear as little clothing as possible.. or be like me and wear a Cavs jersey and get a horrible tan line! Girls — Bralettes are a must, and guys — either break out the bro tanks or no shirt at all. Maybe bring an extra shirt because you're guaranteed to sweat through the first one! I only noticed a few male rompers out there ;)

2. Bring Plenty of Cash

Most food stands and beer tents only take cash so make sure you bring plenty of cash and not just a card!

3. UBER or LYFT

I cannot stress this enough! Parking is way overpriced and not worth if you’re staying nearby! I saved so much money from Ubering compared to what I would have spent if I paid for parking at the festival.

4. Drink LOTS of water

It seems easy to pound 3 blue moons in a row when it's 85 and sunny... but you’ll be thanking yourself later if you stay hydrated and drink lots of water throughout the day!

5. Check out all the food trucks

Loaded fries with mac and cheese, bacon and ranch? Wing dinner with fries? Don’t mind if I do! Don’t forget to check out all the local food trucks and get a taste of where you’re at!

6. Buy the merch and take the free stuff!

Were you really at the festival if you didn’t bring home a shirt of your favorite band to prove it? PLUS- did you know that a percentage of the merch sale goes to the band? Take the free stuff too! I came home with a cool fan, and two bandanas! That bandana might save you from a heat stroke!

7. Check out the local art/crafts

I got some awesome earrings that were made from used guitar strings! How cool?! Why not support a local artist or small start-up business!

8. Show up to your favorite bands early

Make sure to show up to whatever stage your favorites are performing on-with plenty of time to spare! You don’t want to get there right before they come on and have to stand all the way in the back with a view of 30 heads because you're 5’3.

9. Wear deodorant and sunscreen

Please do yourself and everyone around you a favor and apply that deodorant! And don't forget the sunscreen!

10. Love/enjoy every minute of it

Bring your homies, express yourself by dressing and wearing whatever you please! If there's one thing I learned is that it’s a totally care-free space that everyone can freely express themselves in! We are all here to enjoy the music and have a good time!