10 Creepy Urban Legends

10 Creepy Urban Legends

Here are some spoopy urban legends

249
10 Creepy Urban Legends
An urban legend is a form of modern folklore consisting of fictional stories, often with macabre (details and symbols of death) elements deeply rooted in pop culture. Although these legends are mostly used for entertainment purposes, they are also used for explanations for random events. Here are a few creepy urban legends:

1. Slender Man

Most of us have heard about the Slender Man, but for those who haven't, the Slender Man is an alleged paranormal figure who has been reported to exist for centuries. He is an abnormally tall 'man' with long limbs, with a pale face, but no facial features. He is commonly seen in woods and his main intentions are to kidnap children.

2. The Clown Statue

This urban legend focuses on a teenager who is babysitting a few children while their parents go out. After she gets the kids into, she goes into a room to watch TV. However, she becomes disturbed by a clown statue in the corner of the room. After a while of trying to ignore it, she calls one of the parents and asks about the statue, to which they reply:

"Get the kids, go next door and call 911."

After she does this, the parent tells her, "We don't have a clown statue. The kids have been complaining about a clown watching them as they sleep, we just blew it off because we thought they were having nightmares."

The police arrive and apprehend the clown, which turns out to be a homeless person dressed as a clown that has been living in their house for several years undetected.

3. Mothman

The Mothman is a West Virginia folklore, that focuses on a legendary being that was reportedly seen from November 15, 1966 to December 15, 1967. It all started when five men who were digging a grave at cemetery and claimed to see a man-like figure fly from the trees over them in November of 1966. Shortly after that, two young couples told police they saw a large white creature with red glowing eyes. They reported it as a "large flying man with ten foot wings" that followed their while they were driving. Similar sightings were reported, but after the collapse of the Silver Bride on December 15, 1967, the incident gave rise and connected the Mothman sightings to the bridge collapse. A book was inspired by these sightings, The Mothman Propchecies, that claimed there were supernatural events related to the sightings, and connected to the collapse of the Silver Bridge. A movie was later adapted from the book in 2002 called The Mothman Prophecies as well.

4. The Rake

In 2003, events in northeastern U.S. that involved a strange, humanoid creature sparked local media interest before an apparent blackout occurred. However most online and written accounts of the creature were mysteriously destroyed.

Sightings of this creature were mainly focused in rural New York State, witnesses telling their encounters with a creature of unknown origin.

5. Area 51

Area 51 is a U.S. Air Force facility located in southern Nevada. The primary purpose of this base is publicly unknown; however historical evidence supports the idea that development and testing of experimental aircraft/weapons. The intense secrecy of the base's purpose has made it subject to conspiracy theories and UFO folklore.

6. The Jersey Devil

A common urban legend in New Jersey is of the Jersey Devil. It is a legendary creature that is said to inhabit the southern area of New Jersey. This creature is described as having legs with hooves, head of a goat, bat-like wings, horns, small arms with claws and a forked tails. It is reported to move quickly and emits a blood-curdling scream.

7. Bloody Mary

It's likely that we have all heard of the Bloody Mary legend as children. It first emerged in the early 1960s as a party game for adolescents. However the exact origin of Bloody Mary is impossible to pin point.

According to the legend, you have to stand in a bathroom with the only light being from a candle flame. You chant "Bloody Mary" into the mirror and supposedly you will summon her ghost by doing this. There are many variations of Bloody Mary's ghost, but if you see her face in the mirror: your eyes will be ripped out, you will be found dead with claws marks all over your body, you can disappear and end up trapped in the mirror with her for eternity, or you could be driven insane.

8. The Choking Doberman

This legend originates from Australia and recalls a night where a couple return home to find their dog choking in the living room. The woman decides to call the vet and drops their dog off at the clinic.

After she returns home, the phone rings. The vet screams for her and her husband to get out house immediately, which they do as soon as the police arrive.

A policeman informs them that their dog was choking on a man's finger and an intruder must be present in their home, which there was.

9. The Devil's Toy Box

Supposedly in North Louisiana, there is a one room cabin on an old farm. This room is made entirely of mirrors; the walls, the floor and the ceiling. If you go inside, you will go insane, or the devil will appear and take your soul.

"The Devil's Toy Box" was built as a part of a Halloween attraction in 2014. However, after people started to be hospitalized as a result of going inside this room, the entire attraction was closed.

Read more here

10. Black Eyed Children

The Black Eyed Children are usually seen near abandoned/deserted areas. However, some report them appearing at one's doorstep and feel that the children were supernatural and significantly dangerous, yet they could not explain why.

They are known to use mannerisms, and sometimes posses the voice of an adult. They will attempt to talk you into allowing them into you home to use the telephone or to stay safe from unspecified danger.

If you recognize that their eyes are solely black, the children become angry and insistent that you comply with their request, however it is never specified what should happen if you say no.

The origins of these children are thought to be spirits of lost or murdered children, or symbols of ill will and personal doom. People also believe that they are related to vampire legends considering they need permission to enter your home.