10 Comfort Foods to Eat At College When You Aren't Feeling Well

Everyone gets sick sometimes, here are the foods that help me.

492
i.ytimg.com

When you have a gastro-problem or have ever had a stomach-bug, you know that your relationship with food can become tentative at best really quickly. I'm the first to admit that I don't stick to my Crohn's/IBS diet very well unless I'm having a particularly bad week, but for those bad weeks I have a list of go-to foods to make make me feel better. Here is a list of ten foods that work for me (I hope they can help you too):

1. Oatmeal

I know oatmeal seems like a food for babies and/or old people, but it is really easy on the digestive tract and easy to make in a dorm room. I personally like the Quaker Oatmeal with fruit flavors.

2. Pasta with marinara sauce

Pasta is a good too because it is very simple and filling. It is harder to make on campus, but one of my dining halls always has some sort of pasta available.

3. Nutella and/or peanut butter on bread

Not only are Nutella and peanut butter good sources of protein, but the bread can help settle an upset stomach.

4. Chicken noodle soup

This is an oldie-but-a-goodie. It is easy on the stomach and can be good for you if you go for the low-fat version.

5. Slush-puppy or flavored ice

This DOES NOT work for everyone, but when I don't feel like eating anything I have one of these because it keeps my sugar levels up and isn't too heavy. Plus you can get these at almost any gas station for less than $3.

6. Plain donuts

This is another good thing to fill your stomach without adding anything heavy and doesn't everyone love donuts? (I usually avoid the chocolate ones when I don't feel well).

7. PB & J

I have no idea why this works for me, but it is perfect for my sick days.

8. Bagel

I usually have a plain bagel, well maybe I have two. If you haven't noticed, carbs are most of my go-to's.

9. Gatorade

This is like Slush-Puppies, except with electrolytes, a major boost in sugar levels. They also come in delicious different flavors.

10. Water. Lots of water.

Drinking water seems obvious, but you really don't want to become dehydrated when you are already not feeling well.