10 Classic Board Games You Need To Play This Week

Which game is your favorite?

217
Personal Photo

Whenever I walk through a crowded restaurant, I notice all of the little children grasping onto a tablet like their life depends on it. Their eyes are glued to the screen and their entire attention is mesmerized by a little green monster chasing magical mushrooms through a forest. Technology has taken the younger generations by storm. It's baffling that the tablet has eliminated the need for face-to-face interactions with friends when they play games.

What happened?

I remember playing with my friends was ultimately the reason for playing. The anticipation, the competition, and the sheer fun of just enjoying ourselves seem much more entertaining than a simple iPad.

I remember when I would be snowed in at my cousin's winter cabin, and sure enough, we would break out the board games from underneath the stairs. So much fun came from these flimsy pieces of cardboard.

I remember the best childhood board games where "just one more game" turned into staying up past your bedtime. These are a few of the games my momma considers absolute musts in our house:

1. Buzz... buzz... buzz...

Am I the only one who had chills when I would hit the buzzer? However, I am pretty sure this is where most of your aspirations of becoming a doctor came from.

2. Hook, line, and sinker

The satisfaction of making the most random educated guess and still sinking your opponent's ship, it's priceless like one of those MasterCard commercials.

3. Don't Wake Daddy

This was absolutely my favorite childhood board game! Crying babies, cuckoo clocks, and clanking pots & pans -- it was pure chaos, but that midnight snack was worth the risky trip to the kitchen.

4. Snap, crackle, and pop!

Always finding yourself in trouble when your little brother finally hits the right number and wins it all!

5. The Candyman can...

Life would be set if I could live in the Lollipop Woods with Queen Frostine, Mr. Mint, and Gramma Nutt!

6. Quick, grab the cheddar!

The inner engineer in you surfaced when you broke out all of these complicated contraptions to trap a measly, little mouse. Who knew bowling balls and old boots would have worked?

7. Collect $200 when you pass go.

You know you have an addiction to this game if you can't help but buy all of the properties and subtly destroy your opponents. This is the game that always seemed to end with the flipping of the game board.

8. Ouija board if you dared.

I am not going to even go here because I didn't even go here when I was a child. If you did go here, I am not saying you're doomed -- I am just saying you're messing with some bad juju.

9. Guess who?

You have those parents who let you win. Then, you have my mother who managed to conquer this guessing game every single time.

10. Oops, I did it again.

The only time my little brother's would ever say sorry to me...

Bored, stressed, or just need an excuse, play a board game. They're fun and I can't remember the last time I broke out a game of Candy Land.