10 Bible Verses For When Tragedy Strikes
popular

When the world has become an evil place, we must call on our righteous Lord.

80189
pexels.com

Over the past couple of years, it seems that tragedy has become a normal occurrence in our world. This is not to say that events that took place prior to this time weren't tragic; it just seems as though the events of recent years have left the world nearly numb to this type of violence. I will not single out any specific event of tragedy in this article.

I believe that, by doing so, it would imply that one occurrence is more horrific than the other when the opposite is true.

It is during times such as these that we must look to the Lord for guidance to how we can continue to live in a place where mass-murders are more common than prayer in schools. For the times when it seems as if this world is becoming increasingly evil, here are 10 bible verses to remember.

1. John 14:27

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

If we continue to look for a solution to violence on Earth, we will never find it. No earthly human can solve these problems. Instead, we must start putting our trust back in the Lord.

2. Psalm 55:22

"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken."

When we send our cares, our worries and our praises to the Lord, he hears us and grants his blessings to those who claim his name. The Lord said, more than once, that he would never cast his eyes from his children when they called out to him. We cannot hope to begin the change on this planet if we continue to ignore the person who loves us the most.

3. Psalm 56:3

"When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."

God knows all. He understands the sorrow we feel and knows when our hearts are heavy. When this world seems too scary to face alone, remember to put your trust in the Lord, and know that his plan will conquer all.

4. Deuteronomy 31:6

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

He has promised, no matter the situation, he will never leave us. No matter our fear, he is with us.

5. Matthew 5:4

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."

There is comfort in the Lord for those who are mourning tragedy. Calling upon him in our times of need is not acting on weakness, it is showing that our trust has been put within him and that he is who we seek out in our times of grief.

6. Psalm 147:3

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."

There is comfort in the Lord to those who reach out to him.

7. Lamentations 3:47-48

"We have suffered terror and pitfalls, ruin and destruction. Streams of tears flow from my eyes because my people are destroyed."

The Lord is not oblivious to our sufferings. For those who call out to him, he is there to provide peace.

8. Lamentations 3:55-57

"I called on your name, O Lord, from the depths of the pit. You heard my plea: "Do not close your ears to my cry for relief." You came near when I called you, and you said, "Do not fear."

The Lord gives us strength when we are weak and gives us comfort when we are scared.

9. Romans 12:17-19

"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord."

Revenge is not ours to take. Evil weighs down our hearts and becomes a never-ending cycle. The Lord will avenge those who chose to live an evil life.

10: Romans 12:21

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Continue to look towards the sun in all you do. Do not let the evil in this world overcome your desire to perform good deeds. A small ripple can lead to a wave, either negative or positive.