10 Best Tracks Of Neil Hilborn's "Northbound"

The emotion that his words pull from you is not fathomable.
71

Neil Hilborn released his album of spoken word poetry in 2014. I found it almost a year ago after watching a documentary on slam poetry and have not since stopped listening to it. I was never into reading poetry or really, poetry at all until I began listening to spoken word poetry. Spoken word poetry is almost comparable to listening to a poetry book on tape with an added bonus of the emotion that the author of the spoken word puts out into the world during their performance.

1. "It Was the Summer"

This poem, explains how a person can go from being basked in comfort to falling into a long hard depression. It earns the number one spot on this list because of the emotions that it evokes in such a short time span.

2. "Our Numbered Days"

Although almost half of this track is quotes from other people, they were obviously delicately and deliberately selected and that is what makes it poetic. Its subject is heaven and the calmness of his voice makes you think of heaven and what will happen after death.

3. "OCD"

During this, you are dragged in as a part of a relationship and the cuteness of her acceptance of him and his quirks. But then your devastated at the end and cannot manage to turn it off from how consumed you are.

4. "Audiobook"

This is my favorite and is probably the funniest of all tracks from the author’s blatant explanation of life, love and the decisions you make during both. To stay true to the theme of the album, it makes you feel something and question all the choices you have ever made.

5. "Motown"

“Motown” explains the questions about racism from the point of view of someone who just doesn’t know what they should do or say, especially today during high racial tensions.

6. "The Future"

“The Future” focuses on pulling you into the feeling of what it feels like to be bipolar and what happens when you have no control over your life or your emotions.

7. "Mating Habits of the North American Hipster"

**WARNING** Do not listen to this poem with your parents or children. If you can get past the impressive amount of vulgar language, I find the author’s blatant observations of the millennial generation to make me literally laugh out loud.

8. "Future Tense"

Neil’s description of what it feels like to be dumped draws you in so far that it may feel like it is happening to you. The intensity of his voice builds and falls with the intensity of the content that he speaks.

9. "Dust Mop"

“Dust Mop”, like “Motown” addresses the subject of race and points out that short of a basketball game and a torn shirt he has lost nothing to the Native Americans.

10. "Phone Phreaking"

This poem is composed of a history lesson, the story of his own attachment to his phone, and it makes you question your own attachment to your cell-phone.

This is only half of the album. These were only the best of the album, in my opinion. Check out the entire album here.