The Top 10 Best Haunted Houses To Visit In Pennsylvania

If you love to be frightened to death then these are for you!

134

Spooky season is here and haunted houses are in full swing! They're my favorite fall activity to do during October and there are a plethora of different places to choose from. There are numerous places in Pennsylvania that are famous for being top scarers. Here are what I believe to be the 10 best haunted houses to visit in Pennsylvania during this spooky season. Just a warning, make sure you go with lots of friends you can hide behind!

1. Eastern State Penitentiary Terror Behind The Walls 

"Terror Behind the Walls consists of six haunted attractions that create a seamless experience. All six attractions are included in one admission price."

2. Pennhurst Asylum

"Pennhurst Asylum is home to some of the world's most dangerous criminally insane. Opening Fall 2018 guests will be welcome to visit the infamous Max Security Wing. Guests will visit the cells of our most hostile patients and must navigate Maximum Security. From draining blood to incinerating bodies, The Morgue at Pennhurst is your full-service mortuary. Containment is a new attraction for 2017 that takes you through a 1,200-foot long gauntlet underneath the Pennhurst complex. Stationed as a government facility hidden underground for decades, you will bare witness to patients being experimented on in the most inhumane ways possible. Lucky for you, this research facility is still accepting patients! The brand new sets and scares of this attraction are guaranteed to produce horrifying screams and nightmares to come. The final attraction, Mayflower After Dark, is a self-guided tour of the Mayflower Building, reportedly the most ghostly active of all the locations on the campus. It's featured on Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters. No actors or props, visitors are sent at their own risk to wander through the dormitory, left caught in the sands of time just as it was 26 years ago. Search for spirits on your own, or let them find you first. Included is a museum of Pennhurst State School artifacts with real former employees taking you back in time to what life was really like for the patients."

3. Field of Screams

"When it comes to terrifying thrills and spine-tingling chills, Field of Screams in Lancaster, PA, will give you more than you can handle! Celebrating our 27th Season with four world-class Haunted Experiences and an impressive Midway Area, after one visit you will soon realize why our Horrifying Haunted Hayride, Two Massive Haunted Houses, and Wicked Haunted Woods make Field of Screams America's #1 Haunted Attraction. Scaring over one million visitors to date from all over the world, Field of Screams was named #1 by USA TODAY, featured on the TRAVEL CHANNEL, the HOWARD STERN SHOW, TIME MAGAZINE, and NEWSWEEK. Come be a part of the non-stop heart-pounding action that will leave you begging for the end to be near."

4. Ravenwood Manor

"Each year the story line - theme changes and so do all of the sets in the Mansion. Design and planning of our Characters, their makeup and costumes and set starts early each spring. Finding your way down winding staircases and hidden sunken rooms is all part of your journey. You will experience dozens of seasoned actors, Animatronics and Pneumatic props to catch you off guard when you least expect it. The fun begins as soon as you park your car so be on the lookout for looming creatures. During the 30 minute tour you will find our actors are engaging and interactive. Our scare team is dead serious about what they do. The Scare Team at Ravenwood Manor patiently wait each season for the month of October to arrive."

5. Spook Haven Haunted House

"It's truly the unknown. Take a walk through a combination of creepy but cool scenes where you might find a few critters lingering in the swamp, crazed nuns in the church, lots and lots of crawling things in the forest."

Elysburg Haunted House

"The Elysburg Haunted House which began in 1976 is Central PA's first and best haunted attraction. Upon entering the line, you will be met by some of our ghouls that are prowling about. Once you reach the end of the line you will be directed up the wooded entrance path. After surviving the entrance path you will enter the house, Good Luck- no turning back now. If you manage to escape the house and think you are safe, you will retreat down a wooded exit path. Beware of the paths, they are full of surprises! The only haunted attraction in Pennsylvania that includes a haunted path through a wooded area and a walk-through, 2 story haunted house and cellar! Strobe lighting is utilized in some parts of the attraction."

7. Shockwalk Haunted Trail

"Face your fears, we dare you...

Tread carefully into the depths of darkness. Be forewarned, for this journey may rob you of your sanity, and plummet you into the pits of your deepest and darkest nightmares. If you think you've seen it all, think again! Come out and experience the terror for yourself. We promise, we'll make you feel right at home...

Do you have what it takes to "Face your fears and experience the shock?" If S-laughter truly is the best medicine then we have just the right mega dose for you!"

8. Scary Harry's Haunted Trails LLC

"Scary Harry's Haunted Trails is family-owned and operated in Homer City, PA. Since our company opened its forest to customers in 2010, we have but one goal and that is to become the best known name in haunted attractions within our town, county, and someday even our state. We live to bring families together and help to create memories that will last a lifetime."

9. Haunted Hollow

With five different attractions, guests have a lot to choose from. Details of each attraction are specified on the website.

10. The Haunted Acres

"All scares are customized to go along with our theme for the year that can be found on our main home page. Our waiting area and Lurid Labyrinth are inside and will always be open even in rain, the remaining scares are outside through a lit path. We attempt to keep you with your original party, but if necessary you may be grouped with others. Please wear appropriate footwear, and remember that the trail is at times uneven and you are walking at your own risk...no matter how scared you are...don't run...hahahaha."