10 Beautiful Places To Travel To In Europe

Some of the most beautiful and under-known places to visit on vacations abroad.

215
www.getmetravelled.com

The stereotypical thing for every college student to think about is a vacation backpacking in Europe or to travel to some exotic country and have a once in a lifetime experience. While it seems that the idea behind this is excellent, it is very often followed through in a very relaxed manner, and we don't always get the full experience. Sure going to London for a week is a great experience if you aren't from London, but there are so many other places in the world you can visit; places where the area isn't designed strictly to appeal to tourists, areas that really inhabit the culture of the land. It might take some researching, it might be harder to find some of these places rather than others, it might even be hard to get to some of these, but in the end, the experience will totally be worth it! Here are 10 of the most interesting places I have found in my research:

1. Civita Di Bagnoregio, Italy

Our first location is quite the mouthful. Civita Di Bagnoregio, or Civita for short, is a small town of Italy that the locals call "il paese che muore" or "the dying town." This town was first formed in the 6th century by a group called the Etruscans and has slowly been crumbling apart for years. The town's location is high up on on a rock bed that is prone to landslides, earthquakes, and just all around erosion, the town is a beauty and the concept of a town that's essentially disintegrating is almost alluring. Although lately, the town has started to become designed for tourists, lots of the originality of the town and the culture still lives on in what's lefts of the buildings that have been abandoned.

2. Meteora, Greece

Meteora, Greece is the location of a collection of monasteries built around the 14th century. While monasteries are cool, they might not be the most interesting thing for everyone, but the specific appeal of this location is that these monasteries rest on vertical cliffs.

3. Ronda, Spain

One of Spain's oldest and most beautiful cities, Ronda is surrounded by river valleys and sits above a ravine. The city actually has more than just a handful of things to do, from the Puente Nuevo, of New Bridge, as it's most famous landmark. Additionally, from the Bullring (Plaza de Toros) to the Arab Baths (Baños Arabes), to the Cuenca Gardens (Jardines de Cuenca) and much more, Ronda has more than enough interesting locations for you to fulfill that "travel the world" itch you have.

4. Rocamadour, France

The village of Rocamadour is a small one with a huge destination. The main draw of Rocamadour is religious, with a shrine to Madonna that has fabled healing powers, but that isn't the only reason to stop in for a visit. The village sits on cliffside right along the River Alzou, so the scenery from where these two locations meet is breathtaking to even the most well-traveled individual. Additionally, the Gouffre de Padirac, an underground cave system, is located nearby and has beautiful boat journey that takes you 75m underground through the expanse of the chasm.

5. Hallstatt, Austria

If you've ever wanted to visit Arendelle from Frozen, Hallstatt is pretty close. Among many other ways, the most enticing way to get to Hallstatt is by ferry through the lake. The Austrian village sits on water-level alongside a lake and between two beautiful mountains. Hallstatt also holds a secret mine, deep underground filled with salt. The mines hold a subterranean salt lake and have also, preserved in salt, the mummy of a prehistoric mine

6. Reine, Norway

Located on the Island of Moskenesøya on the Lofoten Archipelago within the Arctic Circle, Reine is a local fisherman's island. With peaks of granite exposed naturally from the ground, and an excellent location for hiking, kayaking, biking, and skiing, Reine is a quiet town, but also considered "the most beautiful place in the world." Reine has a beautiful combination of things you might not expect, with both beautiful beaches, skiing locations, and an excellent viewpoint of the Northern Lights, Reine has a wide variety of things to be doing at any point in the year.

7. Giethoorn, Netherlands

Giethoorn, or "The Village Without Streets" is a beautiful and peaceful village in the Netherlands that uses small canals and boats (punts) rather than streets and cars typical of other modern cities. To walk or cycle through the small footpaths that surround the canals is one of the Giethoorn's pleasures, and guided boat tours are a common love for tourists.

8. Telč, Czech Republic

One of the country's prettiest cities, lined with yellow, pink, and greenhouses. Telč's town square has a continuous line of buildings all of the similar Renaissance design but with each a slight difference in color and style. At the end of the square sits the city's main castle, and on the other side, a river with parks around the edges.

9. Cong, Ireland

Cong, Ireland, is known as "Quiet Man Land." With its peaceful location and known as a fishing town, Cong is just the slow and quiet break you'll want for a vacation. With the Ashford Castle and Monk's Fishing House as two of the highlights of your visit, you'll enjoy lots of scenery and calm peaceful time to yourself. Additionally, the Guinness Tower and the Clonbur Trail, as well as Ardnageeha loop, offer a beautiful look at the lush green scenery that Ireland has to offer.

10. Wengen, Switzerland

Sitting between the Jungfrau mountains and resting on the sun terrace of land and rolling fields, Wengen is a beautiful location in the heart of Switzerland. The Jungfraubahn, the railway that takes you up the mountain to the summit is a beautiful journey that showcases the glaciers and rock features that surround this location. The Trümmelbach Falls are a glacier gorge with a hidden waterfall within the rock structures and the Lauberhorn Ski Races are downhill routes of the Alpine that are well known to skiers throughout the area and a marvel to watch.