It's A Year Since The Pandemic Started, And I'm Still Praying For Empathy

My heart breaks for the lack of care we seem to have these days.

91

The world has changed a lot since the start of 2020, but you'd think that by almost a quarter of the way into 2021 we would have learned a few things. The world as we know it is very critical. Hateful comments are easily posted through social media without hesitation. Conversations are less about understanding others opinions and more about demanding that they are the same. The more I continue to watch everything unfold, I can't help but wonder, where is the love?

We are going through probably the craziest thing we will ever have to go through in this lifetime.

Our children and grandchildren will eventually learn about this time in their history books. Every time I'm reminded of that, I think to myself: Would they be proud of my response? The same way we read about the horrible things that went on in our history books and could never understand how we let it happen. It seemed like common sense to us, be kind to everyone and it'll all work out.

Whether it be celebrities, friends, distant relatives, or coworkers, it is so hard to see that we as a people can not seem to get past our own pride long enough to just stop and listen. That's what all those history lessons were about, learning and listening from those people who struggled and making sure it doesn't happen again or keep happening.

I am praying for empathy for this world.

I hope that we can all come together, different, but united. We may have very different opinions and beliefs, but we can still coexist. I'm not saying that the extreme, harmful beliefs should be tolerated. What I am saying is that if someone takes a different stance on an issue than the one you take, listen to them. Try to understand where they're coming from. Don't try to change their opinion. You don't need to be influenced to change your opinion either based on what they're saying, but chances are, if you allow them to share, they won't argue with you. I have had so many pleasant conversations with people who have very strong, very different opinions than me. Not everyone can do this, but if we try to do it more, even with something we're a little less passionate about, we can work our way up to the harder stuff.

I would encourage those of you who have read this far to take the time to listen to the people around you. Sometimes people just want their voice to be heard, and if they feel they're being silenced, they'll scream to get it out. If you simply ask and give them an opportunity to share, they will most likely allow you to share your voice as well.