Being A part Of The Democratic Process

What It’s Like To Be A Part Of The Democratic Process

My time volunteering on the campaign trial.

296
https://pixabay.com/en/vote-generic-2016-america-campaign-1286584/

One of the hallmarks of living in a democratic society is the presence of elections as a regular feature of civic life, from selecting the local city council to choosing the president. One of the privileges of being a citizen of a democratic society is getting the ability to participate in one of these elections, whether as a simple voter or as something more.

Elections are defined by the campaigns of the various candidates running for office. The backbones of those campaigns are the eager volunteers that staff and support them. Whether they are out organizing events, raising funds, canvassing houses, or just getting the coffee and donuts, volunteers are the beating heart that keeps a campaign running all the way until Election Day. As a political science student it's frankly no surprise that I'd have an interest in campaigns and seek to become a part of one, both as a way to explore a potential career pathway for my future and to fulfill my own desire to be active politically.

I decided I'd start small and local for my first campaign, the mayor's race in the city where I'm going to school, San Francisco, seemed like a good place to start. The bulk of my time with the campaign was spent canvassing neighborhoods to find potential supporters and remind committed ones of the approaching election. Canvassing is a fascinating activity to preform, through it I got to see and explore neighborhoods I never visited before and gain a slightly more complete picture of the city I inhabit. Additionally, I got to meet and interact with a wide variety of people from fellow volunteers, to voters, to teammates I pressed into joining me.

Working on a campaign you gain an understanding of the effort that goes into participating in an election, all the strategizing and outreach that has to be done to prepare for Election Day. Even being a weekend volunteer I could feel how draining it is to be constantly on the move convincing, educating, and charming potential voters. I cannot understand for the life of me how people are able to do this full time for a few weeks let alone a few months as a professional campaign staffer. But for all the exhaustion and stress that campaigns bring, there is something to be said for the feeling that you are a part of making democracy happen, that your efforts are a part of this democratic whole. It's a rather nice feeling and I see how with time it could become quite the rush.

Volunteering for political campaigns has given me a greater understanding and appreciation of democracy. I now see much more clearly the work campaigns do in fostering democracy and just how important it is for citizens to become involved in the democratic process. I have only just started to be involved in political campaigns, but I do not intend to stop with just the one. I plan on being a part of many more to come.