8 Hidden Gems for UCSB Students

8 Hidden Gems for UCSB Students

736
8 Hidden Gems for UCSB Students
http://ucsbalum.com/programs/mosher/eventspaces/

Have you ever discovered a resource or a special spot you wish you had known about months or years before?

Here are a few places that are underutilized, uncommon, or have a certain element that should be shared with more UCSB students.

1. The Arts Library

Most people go to good old Davidson Library. Davidson Library is currently under construction, which means less space to study and consistent noise. The Arts Library, however, is an underutilized space located in the music building. Not only is this place quiet but also has tons of study space and outlets. This is a defiante gem during midterms and finals weeks.    

2. Mosher Alumni House

Mosher Alumni House is located across from Campbell Hall and is another great study place. They even hand out snacks and study supplies during finals week. There are tons of resources to invest in at the Mosher Alumni House. This is a great place to study and even have a snack break during those stressful academic weeks.   

3. Embarcadero Hall- Free Meditation

This is an amazing deal. Embarcadero Hall is located in the Heart of IV, but inside is a tranquil area to meditate during the school year. Twice a week they allocate 30-minute classes for those who need to take a break and practice a healthy habit. Check it out on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-1:30 pm in room 1110. Note: this is the summer schedule and you can find this information and more on the UCSB Alcohol and Drug program website under Services.     

4. Arts Gazebo 

This is a well-designed and quaint area in the middle of the Arts Building. It's in an outdoor courtyard with inventive architecture and is aesthetically appealing for those who enjoy it's artful look. Rocks surround the area giving it a nature appeal but surrounding that is the modern and industrial look of the Arts Building. This is defiantly a cool place to sit and think without the confines of a classroom.    

5. The Swing Tree 

There is a tree swing hidden by the lagoon to the right of campus point. My friend stumbled upon it my freshmen year and it's the best place to relax and be completely surrounded by nature. There's a rope tied on it and a huge branch that is the perfect bench to sit on. Here is a tip; there is no path. You have to travel on the edge of the lagoon. This one for sure is a hidden gem that you will have to explore to find.    

6. The Del Playa Parks 

The parks on DP are open for all to see, but there is always a shortage of people. You can see the ocean from all of them and they all have unique touches whether it's the hilly landscape, a single swing or an open field to frolic in. Just start at the beginning or end of DP and check them out. It’s always nice to have a spot you can relax at and there are plenty of parks to choose from.   

7. Pizza My Heart 

Pizza My Heart has a variety of good pizza but the hidden gem here is the cheap beer. They have 23 oz. draft beers from $2-3. They don't sell pitchers but the cost of drinking 64 ounces of beer here is cheaper than it's competitive pizza parlors. You typically can find plenty of seats and they have outdoor seating as well. This is a great place to get more for your buck.    

8. Denny’s 

Located outside of IV with food, coffee, and a study section is Denny’s. The Denny’s on Calle Real is not too far from IV and the best part is that UCSB students have a study section. If you show your student ID you get 20 percent off of your purchase. Free coffee refills, free Wi-Fi, and plenty of wall outlets, makes this a great place to stay fed and caffeinated during overnight study binges.