Six Reasons to Go to the Same School as Your Older Sibling

41

I can say from personal experience that having my older sister here at Penn State has been more than a blessing. Not only are my parents full supporters, but I’ve probably learned more from Sarah than I have in most of my classes (just kidding ... maybe). Sure, college is a time meant for making new friends and reaching outside your comfort zone, but there’s just something so calming about knowing that she’s always there when I need a break from all of that.

Other than being a fourth-generation Penn Stater, knowing that Sarah would be there with me for my first two years of college pushed my school choice over the edge. Although there was some fear coming to this huge campus, I skipped the normal panicked-and-deserted-freshman phase after my parents left for the first time, because I never felt actually alone.

As we’re almost halfway through the spring semester, I can’t help but have this scary thought hanging over me: my sister’s graduation is quickly approaching. For the first time in my college career, next fall, I will officially be on my own. As I sit here and think about the many benefits of having Sarah with me for the first half of my years at Penn State, I can’t help but think about the things I’ll miss most about having an older sister at school.

6. Having a car. If you have an older sibling, there’s a good chance he or she might bring a car to school (since freshmen aren’t typically allowed). In my case, it ensured that I was always guaranteed a ride home on breaks without having to work around someone else’s schedule (other than my sister’s, that is). If I could make the trek to the car itself, I could use the car for whatever I pleased, whether that was going home on my own, grocery shopping or just times when I got lazy.

5. Having a friend who doesn't judge. What do you do when every single one of your friends is on your last nerve? Living in close proximity with people (i.e. being with them all. of. the. time.) often leads to being annoyed easily. They say you don’t know someone until you live with them, and this can definitely prove to be true in college. Your older sibling has gone through it all before you, so feel free to use them as an outlet to express your built-up emotions in a judge-free zone. Getting it off your chest to someone who you know you can trust allows you to release these feelings of annoyance and may even help you to get irritated less frequently.

4. More support from your parents. Not doing well in your first semester? Parents value the opinion — and, better yet, excuses — of the older, more experienced sibling rather than the newbie who seems to be slacking. A few quick words of encouragement that “it’s normal to get a C in your first class” could get your parents off your back, because if she says it’s true, it’s true. Plus: What makes your parents happier than only have to make one trip to move you in and out and visit?

3. Advice. From school advice to friend advice to girl/boy advice, your older and wiser sibling is there to offer you free, 24/7 guidance. No one genuinely likes meeting with his or her advisor, so why waste your time when you can get school advice from your older sibling? Scheduling your classes gets that much easier: It allows you to avoid a difficult, advisor-recommended “Gen Ed” that no one else is in. We might also not seek advice from our friends or people around us because we’re embarrassed or afraid to be judged, but judge-free advice is just a phone call or few minute walk away.

2. Borrowing clothes. This one speaks for itself. In addition to all the extra closets you get to raid of your friends/roommate(s), your sister’s closet is the most fun. Being able to take anything that you want and not having to worry about giving it back right away or getting that small stain out (sorry, Sar) is probably the sweetest reward there is.

1. Having your home away from home. Sure, college is the best experience, and we’ll never have another like it. But who’s to say you’ll never get homesick? Having an older sibling at school with you gives you the opportunity to feel like you’re at home, even if you are hours away.

Shout out to my sister who’s gotten me through my first two years — I can’t wait for you to come visit me for my last two!