Let's Make Reading A Thing Again

Let's Make Reading A Thing Again

16
Let's Make Reading A Thing Again

Remember when everything from parents to TV shows, in our childhood, encouraged us to pick up a book and lose ourselves in the pages? Between the influence of Reading Rainbow and my mom volunteering in the elementary school library, reading became a big part of my life, early on. As the years have passed, it seems to have become less popular and common for most. 

What is hindering the world from picking up a fresh paperback from the shelves? For one, the shelves are depleted. Bookstores around the world are shutting their doors after years of service because of the surge in the digital reading market. Instead of collecting our favorite tales on a shelf, newer technology has many people cataloguing titles in their Kindles or iPads. The idea of walking into a bookstore and grabbing something new off the staff recommendations shelf is becoming a thing of the past, and the plethora of options online is enough to make anyone considering a new read hesitate at the astonishing amount to choose from. 

Another factor preventing a good chunk of potential readers from diving into a new book is film adaptation. Due to the ever-growing demand in the TV and movie markets, storylines from more and more novels are being snatched from the pages and thrown onto the big screen, their plots and characters twisted into a weaker version of the original written work. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good movie adaptation, but I hate when people use seeing the movie, or show, as an excuse to not read the book. The amount of juicy little details lost in the transition to the big screen has always been too good for me to pass up.  

High school reading did not exactly encourage a lot of students to pick up books for pleasure after the torture of the assigned in-class readings, but whole new worlds that are a lot more interesting than Grapes of Wrath await in the covers and bound pages of a good book. Many give up on reading simply because they pick the wrong books. Figure out which genre is for you, and pick from within it. You are guaranteed to find something that will suck you in, sooner or later. 

Reading doesn’t have to be for an assignment or a chore, it can be a way to relax and get away from the real world. It is easy to forget reality when losing yourself in a book, but if you never pick one up how will you enjoy such an amazing release? Don’t let the TV adaptations convince you to settle for their version, and don't the online market scare you away. Spend some of that precious free time finding a good read and commit to finishing it. You may just find that you are a reader, after all, and then it’s off to the next story waiting to be read.