Why My Major Isn't Useless

Why My Major Isn't Useless

What I've gained from majoring in fine arts

193
Why My Major Isn't Useless
Reddit

Whenever I meet someone new on campus, the first question they ask is what my major is. When I say dance, I always see a look of confusion spread across their face. "That's interesting. What are you going to do with that?" is the most common response. In the myriad of "Top Ten Most Useless Majors" and "Worst Paying Occupations" articles published by Business Insider, Forbes and Huffington Post, among others, my major -- fine arts -- always makes the top five. Memes depicting fine arts majors as McDonald's workers assume that a career in fast food is all a BFA can get you. Other "worthless" majors include journalism, philosophy, religious studies, liberal arts, graphic design and history.

So is a degree in one of these areas really as worthless as they say? I sure don't think so. Speaking from experience, the lessons I've learned both inside and outside the classroom will take me just as far as if I had been a part of any other program on campus, and here's why.

These majors take a lot of hard work. For fine arts majors, the work begins even before admission into the program. Extra applications, auditions, portfolio reviews and interviews are all part of the long and expensive process to get into the College of Fine Arts. Being accepted into the program is an accomplishment in itself. After admission, arts majors work tirelessly to perfect their art not only in their classes, but after hours as well. Many students don't receive credit for the rehearsals, performances and extra time they put in at the studio. It is almost like having a full time job. Scheduling, time management and organization quickly become second nature in these majors. Not to mention the creativity and critical thinking that goes into the elaborate projects that arts students are constantly being assigned.

The path may not be as clear cut as those of other students, but that doesn't mean it is the wrong path. Many of the majors I have listed are labeled the worst because they don't produce high paychecks. But if you major in something you are passionate about, the amount of money you make doesn't matter because your job is the reward. Most artists began as kids who saw a performance and said, "One day, I'm going to do that." Since that moment, everything has been devoted to making that dream come true. My determination and passion to accomplish my goals and find a job in my field has only increased as I have gone through my college curriculum.

These lessons of hard work, determination and passion are ones that everyone can take with them, regardless of their field of study. These lessons aren't about art, though that is the lens I learned them through. They are about life and how to succeed after graduation. There isn't a major out there that is worthless. Every single day that I go into a classroom, I learn something about myself that will help me in the future. For all of you who has been told your major isn't practical or useful, don't let that stop you from doing what you love. Don't let others decide your level of success.

So what am I going to do with that fine arts major? Really, I could do anything. With the tools my education has given me, the sky is the limit.